Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname? Post 302112733 by reborg on Thursday 29th of March 2007 10:52:53 PM
Old 03-29-2007
As root:
Code:
echo my_host > /etc/nodename
init 6

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to change hostname and ip in solaris

Dear all, I am going to change the IP address and hostname in my solaris, but I don't know how to do it. If you have any idea or suggestion, please fell free to let me know. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Change IP and Hostname

Hello.. I wanted to know how to change IP and Hostname on HPUX system, and I don't want to make it as NIS master either. Could someone tell me the files I need to modify and make sure it's on network? Thanks! :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Change hostname in Solaris 9

Please anyone guide me how to change the hostname in Solaris 9? The IP of the machie is fetched from a DHCP server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
6 Replies

5. Solaris

change hostname end ip adresse in solaris 9

hi everybody which files i should change to modify my hostname and my adresse ip in solaris 9 . or how can i do that :confused: it's very important to me thnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Classic: sendmail[pid]: My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown

Hi all, I'd like to disable sendmail permanently on my "new" 220R with freshly installed SunOS 5.10 because it prints annoying messages to the system console. Also I'm interested in how to fix the actual problem with unqualified host name. My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown; sleeping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies
nodename(4)							   File Formats 						       nodename(4)

NAME
nodename - local source for system name SYNOPSIS
/etc/nodename DESCRIPTION
When a machine is standalone or its IP address is configured locally, the /etc/nodename file contains the system name. By convention, the system name is the same as the hostname associated with the IP address of the primary network interface, for example, hostname.hme0. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the RPC bootparams protocol, the /etc/nodename file is not used, as the system name is delivered by the remote service. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the DHCP protocol, the /etc/nodename file is used only if the DHCP server does not provide a value for the Hostname option (DHCP standard option code 12). A system name configured in /etc/nodename should be unique within the system's name service domain in order to ensure that any network ser- vices provided by the system will operate correctly. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Syntax The syntax for nodename consists of a single line containing the system's name. For example, for a system named myhost: myhost ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), uname(1), named(1M), ypbind(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The nodename file is modified by Solaris installation and de-installation scripts. SunOS 5.10 9 Feb 2004 nodename(4)