Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sequential execution in shell script? Post 302112728 by chengwei on Thursday 29th of March 2007 09:26:27 PM
Old 03-29-2007
Actually I want the current line to finish executing before continuing to the next line. So do I still use the '&"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of shell script

How can I execute another shell script from one? Malay (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
5 Replies

2. Programming

Reading special characters while converting sequential file to line sequential

We have to convert a sequential file to a 80 char line sequential file (HP UX platform).The sequential file contains special characters. which after conversion of the file to line sequential are getting coverted into "new line" or "tab" and file is getting distorted. Is there any way to read these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequential execution of job in cron

Hi I have a file say xyz.sh, whose contents are as follows : *************************** #! /bin/ksh set -x . /a.sh . /b.sh . /c.sh ***************************** Now will this execute all the three process simultaneously or sequentially? If it will process simultaneously, is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to tell how long does a shell script's execution take?

Is there a way to tell how long does a shell script(or a shell command)'s execution take? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron execution of shell script

Hi Guys, Unable to run this script from the cron,although the same executes perfectly from the command line.Please help. #!/bin/sh #### aprintd alarm creation files ##### file=`date +%m%d%Y` pid=$$ echo "$pid" /u01/app/netboss/bin/aprintd/aprintd > $file & childpid=$!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish.sharma
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH using shell script terminates the script execution

Hello, I am writing a shell script in which i do ssh to remote server and count the number of files there and then exit. After the exit the shell script terminates which i believe is expected behavior. Can some one suggest me a way where even after the exit the script execution resumes. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaankit
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script execution methods

Hi, Shell script can be executed in few ways. I would like to know the differences in the below execution methods. sh file1.sh . file1.sh . /file1.sh Please help, thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Script on Solaris spawning 2 processes for one shell script execution

Hi, I am having a shell script on Solaris 10 which has a while loop as shown below. #!/usr/bin/ksh # while do sleep 60 done Name of the shell script is coldcentric.sh. I executed script /DATAWAREHOUSE/LOAD/Scripts/coldcentric.sh from a command task in Informatica worklow as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequential execution of commands in ksh

I need to run few commands in a ksh script sequentially. Some of the commands are jobs submitted to the server and the consecutive commands are dependent on the completion of the jobs submitted to the server. It works if i separate the commands into different files like this #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashob123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequential Function Execution

I am having two different function in my script. When control is at first function I do not want to execute another function. How I can do that? Help is highly appreiated as I am not sure How I can do it in Unix? Thanks, Vikram. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
2 Replies
utmpset(8)						      System Manager's Manual							utmpset(8)

NAME
utmpset - logout a line from utmp and wtmp file SYNOPSIS
utmpset [ -w ] line DESCRIPTION
The utmpset program modifies the user accounting database utmp(5) and optionally wtmp(5) to indicate that the user on the terminal line has logged out. Ordinary init(8) processes handle utmp file records for local login accounting. The runit(8) program doesn't include code to update the utmp file, the getty(8) processes are handled the same as all other services. To enable local login accounting, add utmpset to the getty(8) finish scripts, e.g.: $ cat /service/getty-5/finish #!/bin/sh exec utmpset -w tty5 $ OPTIONS
-w wtmp. Additionally to the utmp file, write an empty record for line to the wtmp file. EXIT CODES
utmpset returns 111 on error, 1 on wrong usage, 0 in all other cases. SEE ALSO
sv(8), runsv(8), runit(8), runit-init(8) runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), chpst(8), svlogd(8), getty(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> utmpset(8)