Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed in character replacement in Korn Shell Post 302112572 by zazzybob on Thursday 29th of March 2007 02:35:58 AM
Old 03-29-2007
Depending on your version of sed something like this may work for you:
Code:
$ sed -e 's! !/!1' -e 's/ /     /2' infile > outfile

If that doesn't work, the "longhand" version will....
Code:
$ sed -e 's/^\([^ ]*\) \([^ ]*\) \([^ ]*\) \(.*\)$/\1\/\2 \3     \4/' infile > outfile

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Help Needed

How do I change directories to a path given by input variable in Korn Shell? e.g. I tired with the Korn Shell below but it doesn't work. ---------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter folder name: \c" read folder cd $folder ---------------------------------- Any help will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character replacement

Hi, I am working on a command that replaces some occurrences of quotation marks in file. The quotation mark cannot be the first or the last character in line and cannot be preceded or followed by a comma. I am not an expert in regular expressions, but I managed to create the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Character Replacement

Hey all. Easy question. I have a (ksh) varaible x. It contains the following (for example): N557788 I want to replace the "N" with a "-". I've done this before but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it. Thanks. mtw (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mixxamike
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell script needed

Hi all, I need a Korn Shell script that will go out to all Unix Servers and pull all non humans IDs from them while at the same time produce a file to show which servers we have access to and which ones we don't. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinsara
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

banner character replacement

Can we able to replace the character # in banner command with some other characters. Can we able to blink the character in Kornshell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line Replacement help needed.

I have a file called vm.cfg which looks like follows # cat vm.cfg acpi = 1 apic = 1 builder = 'hvm' device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm' disk = kernel = '/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader' memory = '300' name = 'vm_temp' on_crash = 'restart' on_reboot = 'restart' pae = 1 serial =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete new line character ( - ) , korn shell

Hi guys , i need help so bad on this issue.. Basically i have to delete the line continuation symbol of first column variable and add the truncated part of that word in next line to first line. here i written sample 3 lines but originally i have bunch of lines in that file. client1_day- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismorgan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in Korn Shell scripting

#! /bin/ksh while read line do if ] ; then echo "no data" continue; fi echo "performing operation on $line" done < prg.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juhi Kashyap
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed with File Checker Korn Shell Script

I am attempting to write a korn shell script that does the following, but I am getting errors. I'm new to korn shell scripting and am not sure what I am doing wrong. Please help with example scripts. Thanks. 1) check for day of the week 2) if day of the week is Monday then check for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijmoore
4 Replies
shcomp(1)							   User Commands							 shcomp(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [-nv] [infile [outfile]] shcomp -D [infile [outfile]] DESCRIPTION
If the -D option is not specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 reads and executes with the same effect as the original script. Aliases are processed as the script is read. Alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -D Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. --dictionary With this option, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are printed, one literal per line. A literal $"foo" prints "foo" in the output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internation- alization. -n Display warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. --noexec -v Display input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --verbose OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: infile Specifies the name of the file that contains the shell script to be used as input. If infile is omitted, the shell script is read from standard input. outfile Specifies the name of the output file. If outfile is omitted, both modes write their results to standard output. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The command-line interface and the system variables are Committed. The compiled shell code format is Private. The output of the -D option is Volatile. SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Jan 2009 shcomp(1)