Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and remove all but the latest file Post 302112537 by mona on Wednesday 28th of March 2007 10:19:54 PM
Old 03-28-2007
To retain the latest file created with name abc*.txt and to remove the remaining,

Code:
 ls -lt abc_*.txt | awk '{if(NR!=1) print $9}' | xargs -i rm {}

Another approach. This is based on the timestamp in the filename

Code:
ls -1 abc_*.txt | sort -r | tail +2 |  xargs -i rm {}

HTH,
Mona

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Unix shell scripting to find latest file having timestamp embedded...

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the latest file on Unix or Linux

Please help me out how to identify the latest file in one directory by looking at file's timestamp or datestamp. You can say using system command. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use find command to get latest file

Is there a way to use find command to get the latest file and cp it into a certain dir at the same try. example find the latest file and cp to a diff dir. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shehzad_m
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest modified file from the unix server.

hi Friends, In my directory i have some files. I need to find out latest modified file. Please help me. Sreenu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenu80
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest file on Unix or Linux (recursive)

Hi all, I need to get the latest file. I have found this command "ls -lrt" that is great but not recursive. Can anyone help? Thanx by advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1or2is3
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the latest file on remote sftp

Hi All, I need your help in finding the latest files in remote sftp and get those files to local server and process them. Please let me know I appreciate your valuable inputs. Thanks raj (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeevm
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest file based on the date in the filename

Hi, We've a list of files that gets created on a weekly basis and it has got a date and time embedded to it. Below are the examples. I want to find out how to get the latest files get the date and time stamp out of it. Files are PQR123.PLL.M989898.201308012254.gpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to remove all lines but not latest 50 lines from a file

Hi, I have a huge file which has Lacs of lines. File system got full. I want your guys help to suggest me a solution so that I can remove all lines from that file but not last 50,000 lines. I want solution which can remove lines from existing file so that I can have some space left with. (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
28 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the latest modified file in a directory

I am trying to fetch the latest modified file from a directory using the command find . -type f -exec ls -lt \{\} \+ | head | awk '{print $9}' After the O/P, I get the below mentioned error and the command doesnt terminate at all. find: ls terminated by signal 13 find: ls terminated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
2 Replies
IXPC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IXPC(1)

NAME
ixpc - ixp client SYNOPSIS
ixpc [-a address] action file ixpc -v DESCRIPTION
Overview ixpc is a client to access a 9P file server from the command line or from shell scripts. It can be used to configure wmii(1). Options -a address Lets you specify the address to which ixpc will establish a connection. If this option is not supplied, and the environment variable IXP_ADDRESS is set, ixpc will use this value as its address. Currently, the address can only be a unix socket file or a tcp socket. The syntax for address is taken (along with many other profound ideas) from the Plan 9 operating system and has the form unix!/path/to/socket for unix socket files, and tcp!hostname!port for tcp sockets. -v Prints version information to stdout, then exits. The syntax of the actions is as follows: write Writes the supplied data from the standard input to file, overwriting any previous data. The data to be written is arbitrary and only gains meaning (and restrictions) when it is interpreted by wmiiwm(1). See EXAMPLES below. xwrite The same as write, but the data is taken from subsequent arguments, rather than the standard input. create Creates file or directory. If the file exists, nothing is done. ls Lists files and directories. read Reads file or directory contents. remove Removes file or directory tree. ENVIRONMENT
IXP_ADDRESS See above. EXAMPLES
ixpc ls / This prints the root directory of the wmii filesystem, if IXP_ADDRESS is set to the address of wmii. For more information about the contents of this filesystem, see wmiiwm(1). ixpc xwrite /ctl quit Write 'quit' to the main control file of the wmii filesystem, effectively leaving wmii. ixpc write /keys < keys.txt Replace the contents of /keys with the contents of keys.txt SEE ALSO
wmii(1) http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/man/5/INDEX.html ixpc-VERSION IXPC(1)