Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: use of hyphen in #! line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting use of hyphen in #! line Post 302112494 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 28th of March 2007 10:36:32 AM
Old 03-28-2007
Code:
echo 'ls' | sh -

does exactly what you expect, sh reads from stdin. I think it's an artifact from very antique systems. Chris F A Johnson posts here and will know definitely.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a hyphen every 2 characters of every line

I have a text file like this with hundreds of lines: >cat file1.txt 1027123000 1027124000 1127125000 1128140000 1228143000 > all lines are very similar and have exactly 10 digits. I want to separate the digits by twodigit and hyphens....like so, > 10-27-12-30-00 10-27-12-40-00... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hyphen char after shebang notation

Hi, I have a trivial question to ask, I am seeing in some shell scripts the '-' (hyphen) character following the first line of shell script (i.e) the shebang notation as follows: #!/bin/sh - #! /bin/bash - what does the hyphen signify? What will happen if it is not given explicitly? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to remove text in each line after hyphen?

Hi, I'm trying to do something relatively simple. I have a txt file that has the following kinds of lines (and many more lines): CP19 Oahu - Maunawili Falls CP20 Oahu - Maunawili Falls AG12 Oahu - Maunawili Falls CP22 Oahu - Maunawili Falls, Local area AG14 Oahu CP141 KZ102 Kauai -... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the last hyphen

I want to check for more than one hyphen and then hold the first one and delete the rest of the hyphen. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)\1/\1/' but this doesn't work. I try something like this sed 's/\(*\)-\1/ \1/g' but here the script delete all the hyphen. I want to go from this : I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace first hyphen

How do I use awk to replace the first hyphen of a specific record? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to ignore line starting with hyphen

Hi, I want to read a file line by line and exclude the lines that are beginning with special characters. The below code is working fine except when the line starts with hyphen (-) in the file. for TEST in `cat $FILE | grep -E -v '#|/+' | awk '{FS=":"}NF > 0{print $1}'` do . . done How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srinraj Rao
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacing a substring containing a hyphen

I'm attempting to replace a substring that contains a hyphen and not having much success, can anyone point out where i'm going wrong or suggest an alternative. # echo /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow | sed -e 's|vm888-clone|qaz|g' /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a hyphen between two delimiters using sed

Hey guys, I have a file that is delimited by | and I am trying to write a sed command to convert this: abc|def||ghi|jkl||||mnop into this: abc|def|-|ghi|jkl|-|-|-|mnop The output I am getting out of: sed -e "s/+//g" /tmp/opt.del > /tmp/opt2.del is like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing space with hyphen in a pattern.

I have a huge text file, about 52 GB. In the file, there are patterns like these: ] ] ] ]One can see that there is text within patterns such as and ], and I am only interested in ]. There is text before and after all these patterns too, for example, ''Anarchism''' is a ] that advocates ]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Deleting directory with leading hyphen in name

I asked this question last month in Stack Exchange (linux - delete directory with leading hyphen - Server Fault) and none of the answers supplied worked. I have somehow created a directory with a leading hyphen and cannot get rid of it. # ls -li | grep p 2621441 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies
MVN_ALIAS(7)							Java Packages Tools						      MVN_ALIAS(7)

NAME
mvn_alias - add alias(es) for Maven artifact(s) SYNOPSIS
%mvn_alias artifact-coordinates alias [alias ...] DESCRIPTION
mvn_alias macro causes instructions for artifact installation to be added to XMvn reactor configuration. It is used to specify alternative names (aliases) for Maven artifacts. Specified artifact coordinates must match at least one artifact. If not then behavior is unspecified. It is possible to specify artifact coordinates matching multiple artifacts, so one call to mvn_alias can affect installation of more than one artifact. OPERANDS
artifact-coordinates Artifact coordinates specify artifact(s) that this rule applies to. Coordinates are in format groupId:artifactId[:extension[:classifier]][:version]. If extension is specified then version must be specified too. If any part is omitted or equal to empty string then it matches any string. Wildcards and brace expansions are supported in each part. For more information see XMvn Configuration Reference. alias Coordinates specifying artifact alias (alternative name under which matching artifacts will be available). Coordinates are in format groupId:artifactId[:extension[:classifier]][:version]. If extension is specified then version must be specified too. If any part is omitted or equal to empty string then corresponding part from artifact-coordinates will be substituted. Backreferences are supported in form @n, where n is an integer corresponding to brace in artifact-coordinates. AUTHOR
Originally written by Mikolaj Izdebski. Versions 3.0.0 and later were written by Stanislav Ochotnicky. REPORTING BUGS
Bugs should be reported through Red Hat Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/. SEE ALSO
mvn_build(7), mvn_compat_version(7), mvn_config(7), mvn_file(7), mvn_package(7), xmvn(1). JAVAPACKAGES
06/10/2014 MVN_ALIAS(7)