Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP to SFTP conversion
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FTP to SFTP conversion Post 302112447 by shihabvk on Wednesday 28th of March 2007 06:06:28 AM
Old 03-28-2007
FTP to SFTP conversion

Hi,
I have the following ftp code to check the status of communication channel :

/bin/ftp -i -v -n -B 64 $HOST <<END 2>&1 > $LOGFILE
user $user $password
bye
END

I need to re write exactly the same way with SFTP using authentication keys, I know how to do SFTP with authentication keys.

But my problem is, when the authentication fails, it asks for the password, which I dont want, else I need to write the error in the $LOGFILE.

Could you please explain me how to do it, without using script file for SFTP

Regards
Shihab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

FTP v's SFTP

Hi, I'm being told that I have to start using SFTP from my server (HPUX 11i), so heres a few questions; What are the differences between FTP and SFTP? What differences in congiuration can I expect? Are there any changes in command usage? I did see an earlier thread with command issues. A few... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP to SFTP conversion

Hi, I have the following ftp code to check the status of communication channel : /bin/ftp -i -v -n -B 64 $HOST <<END 2>&1 > $LOGFILE user $user $password bye END I need to re write to use SFTP, I know how to do SFTP with authentication keys. But my problem is, when the authentication... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP commands in SFTP

Hi, I am in the process of migrating all my FTP data flows into SFTP to make data more secure... I have used many quote site commands in our FTP sesssion. In SFTP i found that there is no option to do such commands. Does any body here know to overcome the current situation. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astra
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

amend ftp to sftp

Hi all, below is my current scriptftp -n << FTPCTRL open $my_ip user $my_user $my_pass ascii prompt off lcd $myDIR cd $ftp_cd $OPS $myfile FTPCTRLI'd like to amend it to sftp mode. Please advise the correct step.I consulted the man pages of sftp and I suppose I should be using the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP / SFTP confusion

Good morning all, I require some help regarding an FTP server i am building. Basically i have around 20 users all sending a receiving files to and from my FTP server but would like all traffic to be secure. I want to ensure users connect via SFTP only and are denied via FTP. Im using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script from ftp to sftp

salmo allikm warhmat allah wabrakato i have my own server and upload file with ftp with this script ftp -n xxxxxxxxxcom<<EOF user xxxx xxxx binary put image bye EOF i want to convert to sftp or secure protocol when change to sftp no respond it stop i don't know how to start ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pua06
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Why is sftp working but ftp not

I am not very familiar with the use of FTP, and trying to run it I found out that standard "ftp" is not working" but "sftp" is. If sftp is allowed will that block ftp ? and if so where is this set ? I thought there is no relationship, is that right ? If so look here: inetadm | grep ftp enabled... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace FTP with SFTP

Hi All, I am in the process of replacing SFTP instead of FTP to make data more secure. In one of my FTP script I have Quote Site command. I would like to know, what is the option to replace this in SFTP ftp -n -v <<! | tee -a $LOG | grep "Transfer complete" >/dev/null open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: desai.vishnu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Migration from FTP to SFTP

Hi Everyone, We are migrating from FTP to SFTP. We used the following script for FTP: echo "ftp -np -i -v << EOF" >> ${FTP_READY_FILE} echo "open ${SRC_FTP_SERVER} " >> ${FTP_READY_FILE} echo "user ${SRC_FTP_USER} ${SRC_FTP_PWD}" >> ${FTP_READY_FILE} echo "binary" >> ${FTP_READY_FILE}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jigsaw16
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP and SFTP functionality

Hi Friends, I need to make a Unix script, where i need ftp and sftp functionality. Let me describe in details: I need to import few files from remote server, now these remote server either support ftp or sftp not both. So i need a script where my script will try to do ftp first and if it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
8 Replies
libssh2_sftp_write(3)						  libssh2 manual					     libssh2_sftp_write(3)

NAME
libssh2_sftp_write - write SFTP data SYNOPSIS
#include <libssh2.h> #include <libssh2_sftp.h> ssize_t libssh2_sftp_write(LIBSSH2_SFTP_HANDLE *handle, const char *buffer, size_t count); DESCRIPTION
libssh2_sftp_write(3) writes a block of data to the SFTP server. This method is modeled after the POSIX write() function and uses the same calling semantics. handle - SFTP file handle as returned by libssh2_sftp_open_ex(3). buffer - points to the data to send off. count - Number of bytes from 'buffer' to write. Note that it may not be possible to write all bytes as requested. libssh2_sftp_handle(3) will use as much as possible of the buffer and put it into a single SFTP protocol packet. This means that to get maximum performance when sending larger files, you should try to always pass in at least 32K of data to this function. WRITE AHEAD
Starting in libssh2 version 1.2.8, the default behavior of libssh2 is to create several smaller outgoing packets for all data you pass to this function and it will return a positive number as soon as the first packet is acknowledged from the server. This has the effect that sometimes more data has been sent off but isn't acked yet when this function returns, and when this function is subsequently called again to write more data, libssh2 will immediately figure out that the data is already received remotely. In most normal situation this should not cause any problems, but it should be noted that if you've once called libssh2_sftp_write() with data and it returns short, you MUST still assume that the rest of the data might've been cached so you need to make sure you don't alter that data and think that the version you have in your next function invoke will be detected or used. The reason for this funny behavior is that SFTP can only send 32K data in each packet and it gets all packets acked individually. This means we cannot use a simple serial approach if we want to reach high performance even on high latency connections. And we want that. RETURN VALUE
Actual number of bytes written or negative on failure. If used in non-blocking mode, it returns LIBSSH2_ERROR_EAGAIN when it would otherwise block. While LIBSSH2_ERROR_EAGAIN is a negative num- ber, it isn't really a failure per se. If this function returns 0 (zero) it should not be considered an error, but simply that there was no error but yet no payload data got sent to the other end. ERRORS
LIBSSH2_ERROR_ALLOC - An internal memory allocation call failed. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_SEND - Unable to send data on socket. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_TIMEOUT - LIBSSH2_ERROR_SFTP_PROTOCOL - An invalid SFTP protocol response was received on the socket, or an SFTP operation caused an errorcode to be returned by the server. SEE ALSO
libssh2_sftp_open_ex(3) libssh2 0.15 1 Jun 2007 libssh2_sftp_write(3)