Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backing up the system
Operating Systems Solaris Backing up the system Post 302112340 by Sowser on Tuesday 27th of March 2007 11:16:33 AM
Old 03-27-2007
backups

when you are doing backups, you need to back up the partitions. There isnt a way as far as i know to just wack the whole system with a backup. You usually have to back up each individual file system with some sort of backup mechanism, in this case a ufsdump. you can use ufsrestore to check the actual files loaded on the tape. you can check the man pages for more detail about it.

just as an FYI, you can just stick that script in cron and have the system backed up weekly or something like that.

yes, /etc/will be backed up if you back up the file system it is under, usually /

hope that helps.

-S

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backing up

Ok I'm trying to backup a HD using ufsdump but no matter what I do it rewinds the tape after the dump. Now the tape isn't full (only 285mb) and I still have 6 more partitions I want to put on this tape. How can I stop the tape from rewinding because I can't think of anything. Also is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backing Up Directories

Hi Guys, I'm writing a shell script that presents the user with various options, they select one (numbered 1-9) and it then excecutes the correct code. No problem, but I'm having slight difficulty with one option. The user can select to backup all the files in the current directory to another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indigoecho
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best practises for backing up

Hi, I'm about to start a regular backup schedule for my Linux system. I need some pointers if I may :) The system is *mainly* used as a personal home computer (it's actually a laptop running SuSE 9.2) although I do host some client material from it being a PHP developer. I know that in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backing up the vtoc

Can you backup the vtoc, then restore it if you somehow mess it up? This is solaris 9, x86. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Identifying System folders that need backing up

We are not a huge shop -- 1 production V440 and one devel 450 box. Our backup strategy in a nutshell is if the system goes completely down, we reinstall the OS and then restore from tape the folders we need. I'm using Unix agent with BackupExec 10. It allows me to pick and choose down to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
2 Replies

6. AIX

what am i backing up

we are running aix on are server. we would like to start doing online backups, but the software company that we use is not beeing much help on what files we are backing up. is there a command that will tell me what files that we are backing up. they offer a service that would back it up for use,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shane.hankins
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in backing up of databases.

Hi Everyone, I am new to DBA stuff. I wonder if anyone can help me. Task is that, I have 10 databases and need to take backups of all the databases using data pump in Unix/Linux, compress them using gzip and use cron to schedule the job twice a day. Appreciate if anyone can help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreepriya0987
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Backing up root disks

Hi ! I wonder if in solaris 10 there is a utility similar to ignite in HP-UX that backup entire file systems (/, /usr, /var, /tmp, /home). I have to backup only the root disk of a server, but ufsdump seem to be backing up individual file systems....only, am I correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backing up an entire HD

Are there any recommended methods for Backing up an entire HD? I want to backup my data. I do not care about the OS file. I just want my work, movies, and music. I have about 600 GB of work, movies, and music so a bit worried about fragmentation if I just copy and paste. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)                                                                                                            install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)