Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to control/overide shutdown/reboot process? Post 302112117 by Andrek on Monday 26th of March 2007 03:57:52 AM
Old 03-26-2007
Give the root password to only two people- you and one other you trust
That way only you can shutdown the server.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

unix process control

can anyone send me enything about "unix process control " nicko@freemail.com.mk (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicko
2 Replies

2. Programming

Reading a process control block

Hello, I want to know what call to use to read the details of a process control block in solaris ?:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmurali
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

control the process

I found that in my system , there are some strange process , it will make the system crash so I would like to control the system no such process is running , this is if the system process that its process name is "ora" AND its ppid is not "2" , then it will crash the system, can suggest how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

init and process control

I'm trying to wrap my head around process control in Unix... particularly init and how it fits in to the equation. Init is responsible for creating sessions by spawning instances of getty which calls login effectively creating sessions right? Why then can init belong to a session? If you ps jx... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dexfantasy
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shutdown and Reboot problem

Hi, i have sco openserver 5.0.6 but have a problem with shutdown or reboot commands. The string I use is "shutdown -g0 -y" but the system just hangs on "The sytem is down" . I used to get a "Safe to turn of" but now nothing. Same with "reboot" the sytem just freezes. Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VTechman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shutdown and reboot unix server

Hi, please could someone advise the best command to shutdown and then for it to reboot back online again. Note: I shall be doing this from a telent session. regards venhart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

control timeout of sqlplus process

Hi, I'm using simple sqlplus to test DB availability. When DB is going down, sqlplus command is hang for a few minutes I want to implement the following: 1. execute sqlplus 2. if after 20 sec I dont get a response, kill the process and exit with error. 3. if I get immediate response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdan2000
2 Replies

8. Linux

Reboot/Shutdown messages

Hi, I'm using 2.6.11 kernel on ARM 9. Below are the messages I get issuing different commands. When I give "reboot" I get run level 6 initiated and get the following messages. I have nothing to complaint about it. All the scripts in rc6.d are executed. The system is going down for reboot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryaemlinux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape Sequence Overide in XML file

Hi I am try to use sed to remove decleration information from an XML file however their are special characters in the string and sed is not able to parse it . I am using the following commond. sed -e "s/xmlns=http://www.abc.com/integration/services/testtemplate1//g" Orginal.xml... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyb
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit script when shutdown or reboot command is given

This is probably a simple question, but I'm new with writing scripts for Linux (IPFire in this case) and Google wasn't helpful with this. When creating a script, what is the best and/or proper way to have it exit automatically if the reboot or shutdown command is given? If that's even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartgrefte
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-HALT.SERVICE(8) 				       systemd-halt.service					   SYSTEMD-HALT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-halt.service, systemd-poweroff.service, systemd-reboot.service, systemd-kexec.service, systemd-shutdown - System shutdown logic SYNOPSIS
systemd-halt.service systemd-poweroff.service systemd-reboot.service systemd-kexec.service /lib/systemd/systemd-shutdown /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ DESCRIPTION
systemd-halt.service is a system service that is pulled in by halt.target and is responsible for the actual system halt. Similarly, systemd-poweroff.service is pulled in by poweroff.target, systemd-reboot.service by reboot.target and systemd-kexec.service by kexec.target to execute the respective actions. When these services are run, they ensure that PID 1 is replaced by the /lib/systemd/systemd-shutdown tool which is then responsible for the actual shutdown. Before shutting down, this binary will try to unmount all remaining file systems, disable all remaining swap devices, detach all remaining storage devices and kill all remaining processes. It is necessary to have this code in a separate binary because otherwise rebooting after an upgrade might be broken -- the running PID 1 could still depend on libraries which are not available any more, thus keeping the file system busy, which then cannot be re-mounted read-only. Immediately before executing the actual system halt/poweroff/reboot/kexec systemd-shutdown will run all executables in /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ and pass one arguments to them: either "halt", "poweroff", "reboot" or "kexec", depending on the chosen action. All executables in this directory are executed in parallel, and execution of the action is not continued before all executables finished. Note that systemd-halt.service (and the related units) should never be executed directly. Instead, trigger system shutdown with a command such as "systemctl halt" or suchlike. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.special(7), reboot(2), systemd-suspend.service(8) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-HALT.SERVICE(8)