Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need for loop to include fields as one line Post 302111911 by prkfriryce on Friday 23rd of March 2007 11:03:53 AM
Old 03-23-2007
Expected/desired output:

# for x in `awk 'sub($1" +"$2" +","",$0) ' filename`; do echo $x; done
ef:ghi:jk lm:nop qrs

the 'for loop' separates each awk line into three variables, so instead of 4 lines, there are 12:

actual output:

# for x in `awk 'sub($1" +"$2" +","",$0) ' filename`; do echo $x; done
ef:ghi:jk
lm:nop
qrs
qrs
qrs
qrs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include field separator if there are blank fields?

Hi, I have the following data in the format as shown (note: there are more than 1 blank spaces between each field and the spaces are not uniform, meaning there can be one blank space between field1 and field2 and 3 spaces between field3 and field4, in this example, # are the spaces in between... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple fields in file1 to file2 and print line and next line

Hello, I have two files that I need to compare and print out the line from file2 that has the first 6 fields matching the first 6 fields in file1. Complicating this are the following restrictions 1. file1 is only a few thousand lines at most and file2 is greater than 2 million 2. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillesc_mac
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include Line Before Pattern Using Sed / Awk

Hi, I have a sql file that runs something like this vi Test.sql REVOKE EXECUTE ON DEMO_USER.SQC_SAMP FROM PUBLIC; REVOKE EXECUTE ON DEMO_USER.SQC_SAMP FROM DEMO_READ; REVOKE SELECT ON DEMO_USER.DEMO_NOMINEE_TEST FROM DEMO_READ; REVOKE EXECUTE ON DEMO_USER.SQC_SAMP FROM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

include NULLs in line length check

Hello, I am checking the length of each line of a fixed length file and making sure all lines are 161 length. My problem is that some files contain null characters which gets stripped out of my echo. How do I have the NULLs included in my check? (and I cannot replace or sub the NULL values with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironmix
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a string with include next 100 line

Hi, I have a log file which has number of lines from that i have to grep a string like this 03:22:19,287 while greping this string i have to grep next lines to the maximum of finding the word (MORE...) the stack is like this ************* 22/11/2011 03:22:19,287 232290646 ERROR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse fixed-width columns which may include empty fields?

I am trying to selectively display several columns from a db2 query, which gives me a fixed-width output (partial output listed here): --------- -------------------------- ------------ ------ 000 0000000000198012 702 29 000 0000000000198013 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsh79
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of fields then increment a counter reading line by line in a file

Hi, i have a scenario were i should compare a few fields from each line then increment a variable based on that. Example file 989878|8999|Y|0|Y|N|V 989878|8999|Y|0|N|N|V 989878|8999|Y|2344|Y|N|V i have 3 conditions to check and increment a variable on every line condition 1 if ( $3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use less pipe for grep or awk sed to print the line not include xx yy zz

cat file |grep -v "xx" | grep -v "yy" |grep -v "zz" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mention file include on command line: awk

Hi All: I need your help please. I have a include file *.awk , and I would want to know if it's there a option's awk where I can use this file include, for example: awk -f decodifica_bitmap.awk cadena_hex.txt -e /home/snh/Awk/include/funciones.awk > sal.out it give error: awk:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris21
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to include up to blank line.

Hi guys I am trying to figure out how to match a pattern with a regex up to a full blank line. I will show you what I mean with this example: example A movie name: ted movie name: TMNT movie name: Jinxed example B movie names: Gravity Faster Turbo song titles: dont hello problem (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: acoding
8 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)