Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: adding spaces to a line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding spaces to a line Post 302111907 by matrixmadhan on Friday 23rd of March 2007 10:42:45 AM
Old 03-23-2007
or for the second one you could do something like

Code:
perl -e ' while (<>) { $a = " " x 20; $_ =~ s/$/$a/; print "$_"  } ' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Trailing Spaces to a file

I have a text file which is not fixed width. I want to put trailing spaces to each line and make it a 100 byte fixed width file. Can someone please help me as soon as possible? Thanks, Denis (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 222001459
1 Replies

2. Programming

Removing empty spaces and adding commas

I have a file which contains numbers as follows: 1234 9876 6789 5677 3452 9087 4562 1367 2678 7891 I need to remove the empty spaces and add commas between the numbers like: 1234,9876,6789,5677,3452, 9087,4562,1367,2678,7891 Can anyone tell me the command to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding spaces to record

Hi, I want to print spaces in a trailer record which is a single command. namely the unix command which i already have recs=`wc -l $TargetFileDir/myfile.txt|cut -c1-9`;export recs;echo 'PCPC.DXDINPT.FC0.INPUTFLE.PASS'`date +%Y%m%d``printf '%015d\n' $recs` >> $TargetFileDir/myfile1.txt I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvenkat010
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding spaces for a variable value

Hi, i have to form the header and add fillers(spaces) to it. I have done something like this. i have added 10 spaces at the end HDR="AAAABBBBCCNN " echo $HDR >> file1.dat but the spaces are not being stored in the file. How to add the spaces. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding character to spaces in a table

Hi All, I am trying to get the spaces in the below table to be fill up with a character " - ". For eg, coordinates 0202 is a space but i would want to fill up with " - ". Can anybody help ? Input: 04 D H ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk adding spaces.

I have a file that contains... elm,mail elm,lisp,composer,cd,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,zcat,|,tar,-xvf,ls,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,vi,elm,-f,ls,rm,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,cd,ls,elm,cd,ls,cd,ls,vi,vi,vi,ls,vi,ls,i,vi,ls,cp,cd,fg,ls,rm,cd,ls,-l,exit elm,mail,biff,elm,biff,elm,elm elm,ls ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail with cat adding extra spaces in email body

when I try to read a file and send email using cat and sendmail: The email received having additional spaces.(Between the letters of words in the text) My code: export MAILTO="sa@y.com" export SUBJECT="mydomain PREPROD MONITOR AT ${DATE}" export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitsany
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)