Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New backup tapes do not work
Operating Systems SCO New backup tapes do not work Post 302111890 by ariepul on Friday 23rd of March 2007 08:53:40 AM
Old 03-23-2007
New backup tapes do not work

We are using Lone-tar to back up an old SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2. It was working fine until I inserted new data cartridges. I bought the exact same ones that I was using:

HP DDS-1 Data Cartridge
Compressed Capacity: 4GB
Order number- C5706A

If I insert a new tape and backup (done by CRON),
I get this error message:
NOTICE: Stp: Error on SCSI tape 0 (ha=0 id=6 lun=0)
Medium error: RAW retry limit exceeded

If I insert an old tape, lone-tar backs fine, without any problems.

Can someone help?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

ignite tapes

can any1 tell me how to make ignite tapes for the HP-ux. this company said it was: "make_tape_recovery_A", but that don't work. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBX
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tapes

is there a command to check unoccupied space on a tape ? AIX 3.2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tapes

:confused: Hello!! I am a new UNIX user, and I need to back up some files, I have some old ones and I have been trying to delete the old information with 'mt erase' but I don't be sure if it works, and 'mt resert' but the it gave a message suggesting me to use 'scsiha -r' (but the last one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scs
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Tapes Health checks

Hi all gurus Is there any command to perform the tapes health checks? thanks in adv jiajin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijiajin
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Erasing backup tapes (DLT)

I have a load of DLT tapes I need to scrub and get rid off. Anyone know of any application to erase the tapes before recycling them? I have a Sun StorEdge L9 tape loader which I would like to utilise, so a script or application that can take advantage of doing a load of tapes without manual... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: son_t
5 Replies

6. AIX

Moving tapes

Hello, anybody out there that is using itdt to manage tape changes in a tape library. The help of itdt show a move subcommand but I can't get it to work. Env: AIX5.3 Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library -> rmt1 Available 01-08-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) # itdt says it finds the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Solaris

HELP ME! Mounting tapes parallel backup SL500 on solaris 10

Dear Experts, I would like to perform parallel backup using SL500, but i have problem with mounting tape. Please share your thought/experience how to mounting tape on SL500 with parallel backup (2 tapes). Thanks in Advance. Edy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Unable to detect HP backup tapes in RHEL 6.2

Hi All, We connected 2 new tape drives to the servers. I am not able to see both HP tape drives in OS level. I am using RHEL 6.2 OS. I have scanned and rebooted the server but still can't able to find the drives. Thanks in advance..!!!! ---------- Post updated 10-22-13 at 05:07 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
1 Replies
mt-dds(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mt-dds(1)

NAME
mt-dds - tool to control a dds device. SYNOPSIS
mt-dds comp-on|comp-off|comp-query|comp-log mt-dds < tell|label > [ -b # ] DESCRIPTION
mt-dds controls the compression mode of dds tape devices (DAT). mt-dds may also report the current tape position in absolute records (relative to begin of tape) in a format that may be used later by dds2tar(1) to access tar archives that are not the first file on tape. The default device is /dev/nst0, which may be overridden with the environment variable TAPE, which in turn may be overridden with the -f device option. The device must be a character special file. OPTIONS
DDS tape device control options comp-on Enable the hardware compression mode if supported by the device. comp-off Disable the compression mode, switch to normal mode. comp-query Print to stderr if compression mode currently is disabled or enabled. A 0 means compression is disabled, a 1 means compression in enabled. comp-log Print to stdout four lines of information about transferred kilobytes before and after hardware compression from and to the device since initialization. dds2tar service functions tell Print three lines with the current tape position, a block size value (20 by default, may be overridden with -b option) and a block length value (blocksize*512) to stdout. If this output is redirected to a location file locfile, this file may be used by dds2tar(1) to access archives on tape. label If the current tape position is the beginning of an archive and the archive is labeled, mt-dds writes the label to stdout and moves the tape back to the current position (or back over the filemark). ts If the current tape position is the beginning of an archive and the archive is labeled, mt-dds writes the timestamp in octal format to stdout and moves the tape back to the current position (or back over the filemark). If you are using only one computer, the timestamp can be used as a unique archive identifier. -b # Specify the block size # value that is used as a default for the written value with the mt-dds tell command (see above). Also the internal buffer size is specified with this option which is used to read one block in order to get the block size of the current tape block. So specify the block size of the archive or a larger number. other options -f device Device of the tape archive (default is /dev/nst0). Must be a character special file connected to a dds tape device. -V,--version Print the version number of mt-dds to stderr and exit immediately. --help print some screens of online help with examples through a pager and exit immediately. EXAMPLES
Example 1: checking the compression mode of the default tape device mt-dds comp-query Example 2: Write the location information as dds2tar command line options to stdout. mt-dds ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable TAPE overrides the default tape device /dev/nst0. PAGER The environment variable PAGER overrides the builtin pager command ("/bin/more") to display the output of the --help option. SEE ALSO
dds2tar(1), dds2index(1), mt(1), tar(1) HISTORY
This program was created to use it in conjunction with dds2tar. AUTHOR
J"org Weule (weule@cs.uni-duesseldorf.de), Phone +49 211 751409. This software is available at ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de:/pub/unix/apollo 2.4 mt-dds(1)