Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Return Value
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Return Value Post 302111793 by carl_vieyra on Thursday 22nd of March 2007 07:14:19 PM
Old 03-22-2007
Network Return Value

How do I find out the return value of a shell script or program in Unix?

Is there a command to find that out??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return value

Hallo I want write a sh script but I have some troubles! How can I write the Return value to a variable? I need an egrep command with the option -c, how many times it give the pattern. This return value shold be written in a variable. Could you help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raphael.schwend
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

the return value $?

Could someone tell me that's the return value $? 15 mean? Where can i find out more? Many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

if (( $# != 1 )) ---- what will this return

Hi this is an existing code written by somebody. Please help me in understanding the meaning of this if (( $# != 1 )) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satgur
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to return value

I have 3 scripts script A - wrapper script to disguise invoker true identity script B - perform database operation and return a value (either W/H) -> return value by echoing the result script C - use script A to mask as the database owner then invoke script B to retrieve the value ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

5. Programming

cp and rm return non zero value

rm and cp return non zero values sometimes. sprintf(tmp, "rm -rf %s/* 2>/dev/null\n", dest); rc = system( tmp ); rc = 1 and errno =0 sprintf(tmp, "cp -r %s/* %s 2>/dev/null", source, dest); rc = system( tmp ); rc = -1 and errno = 2. The files exist and the paths are correct. I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: latitude
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

return ${1-0}

Hi, What does the above command means? this is used in the following function function _set_return_code { return ${1-0} } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

return value of a function

I have write a shell function to get the maximum of a vector. However, the returned value from the function is not always the correct one. Here is the script: maxval() { local max j i size arrval size=$1 ; shift max=-999999999 i=0 while do arrval="$1" if then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fl0r10
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how should I get the return value

ls xx > yy.log echo $? can get the return value of "ls xx" but if I use ls xx |tee -a yy.log I can't get the return value of "ls xx", and I get the return value of the whole cmd "ls xx |tee -a yy.log", it is always "0" my question is how could I get the return value of "ls xx"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
OPEN(1) 							     Linux 1.x								   OPEN(1)

NAME
open - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
open [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
open will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the envi- ronment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then open will switch back to the controlling terminal when the command completes. -- end of options to open. NOTE
If open is compiled with a POSIX (Gnu) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
open can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: open bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: open -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: open -- ls -l SEE ALSO
login(1), doshell(8), switchto(1). AUTHOR
Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk> -w idea from "sam". 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPEN(1)