Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to change a set of lines between two given Pattrens Post 302111619 by pbsrinivas on Thursday 22nd of March 2007 02:53:15 AM
Old 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuram.P
HI,
If you can use AWK then try this awk code
BEGIN{
COMMENT="TCSCMT* ";
}
{
if($0 ~ /^EVALUATE/)
{
printf("%s%s\n",COMMENT,$0);
getline;
while(1)
{
printf("%s%s\n",COMMENT,$0);
if($0 ~ /^END-EVALUATE/)
{
break;
}
getline;
}
}
else
{
printf("%s\n",$0);
}
}
END{
}
Thanks
Raghuram
Hi Raghu...

This working and it almost Solved my Requirement but...

IF i have some thing like

TCSCMT* MOVE OTHER TO COLOR
then is putting
TCSCMT*TCSCMT* MOVE OTHER TO COLOR

That is its PreFixing the TCSCMT* but i want the Whole line to get Replaced(basically the first 7 Chars are SPACES or ??????* for me )
So i want the 1st 7 Chars to be REPLACED by TCSCMT*

Can we replace instead of Prefixing??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between pattrens.

i wanted to search between pattrens so i used awk /"EXEC CICS DELETEQ TS"/,/END-IF/ but the some change is AAAAAAAA EXEC CICS DELETEQ TS IF ..... END-IF.... XXXXXx XXX IF (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and insert between Pattrens...

Hi Every One... I wanted to inserted a line in between matched pattrens.. Ex... InPut File.. WRITEQ TS ************************** aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccccccccccccccccccccccc SOME PATTREN's RESP ( WS-RESP ) ... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between pattrens with one string in one or other line........

Hi have a lots of files with this type of code Example--1 PROCEDURE DIVISION USING AAA BBB CCC. Example--2 PROCEDURE DIVISION Some Commented Lines.... USING AAA BBB CCC. Example--3 (12 Replies)
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does set also change setenv variables?

I thought that set and setenv was easy enough to understand until I started experimenting. I noticed the same problem in a previous thread, so I will use it as an example. set command gave the following output: argv () cwd /homes/e/ee325328/assignment.2 home /homes/e/ee325328 path ( a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: benwj
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission for a set of files

Hi there, I want to change from this permission -r-xr-xr-x to -r-xr-xr-- for a set of files under unix. Can someone help me to go-about doing this in one shot. Cheers, RN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthickrn
2 Replies

6. Solaris

help me to change the character set

dears i am using solaris 10 i am facing a problem when i make setup for solaris i choose the country egypt and i select the language north america but i forget to do that the i found the date Jun written in arabic i want to change character set to written in english -rw-r--r-- 1 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hosney00ux
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing certain lines with another set of lines

i have a huge script that i need to replace a bunch of lines in. in that script, i have a chunk similar to: JABABA=$(if ; then echo afafafa afafafafaf afafafafe fdfdfdfadfadl fafafafkkkk fi) I would like to replace the above chunk with: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

PROC_MEM_RES how to set/unset/change

Hi all, Does anyone know how to change PROC_MEM_RES? We have a DB server with quite a few oracle instances (RAC) and we are getting critical alerts for PROC_MEM_RES. Anyone know how to increase the current setting or what we should do about it? Thanks in advance. john (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change a set of characters between delimiters?

Hi all, I am trying to write a script for renaming some files and I can't understand how to replace a set of characters between delimiters with sed. The current filename is: <ID1>_<ID2>_<DATE>_<ID3>.PDF And I need to get the following: <ID1>_<ID2>_<DATE>_X01<ID2>.PDF I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartleby
5 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-terminated and includes the newline character, if a newline delimiter was found. If *lineptr is NULL, the getline() routine will allocate a buffer for containing the line, which must be freed by the user program. Alter- natively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc()-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line read in, getline() resizes the buffer to fit with realloc(), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null character. This value can be used to handle embedded null characters in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end of file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad parameters (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE * fp; char * line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } if (line) free(line); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() are GNU extensions. They are available since libc 4.6.27. SEE ALSO
read(2), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), fgets(3), scanf(3) GNU
2001-10-07 GETLINE(3)