Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove space in front or end of each field Post 302111607 by dennis.jacob on Thursday 22nd of March 2007 01:22:18 AM
Old 03-22-2007
Give a try on this..

awk -F"," '{ s=""; for(i=4;i<=NF;i++) { if (i==4) {s=$i; } else {s = s","$i;} } gsub(/ /,"",s); sub(/\(.*\) ,/",",$3); print $1","$2","$3","s; }' filename

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Front end on Unix

Hi, I would like to develop a user interface on Solaris. Can anybody throw some light on currently available software utilities/ packages..? Thanks in Advance .. JS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
4 Replies

2. Programming

Running exe's from front end

Hi, I have created a tool which analyses and debugs cobol programs on Unix environment usin the C files. I now want to create a frontend for the tool in windows. For this i need to establish some kinda communication between the front the end and the back end. I know pipes in one way of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sinbad
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk get rid of space in end of field

Hello. I'm using a file to "grep" in a 2nd one (with awk) cat file1 2 first user 9 second user 1 third user (with a space after user) I want to get the line except the 1st field so I do : field=$(gawk '{$1 =""; print $0}' file | sed 's/^ //') It works but it deletes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xanthos
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed $ appending to front, not to the end

I keep trying to append some astrix to the end of a line, but it keeps overwriting at the front of the line. These are the originals Fred Fardbarkle:674-843-1385:20 Parak Lane, Duluth, MN 23850:4/12/23:780900 Fred Fardbarkle:674-843-1385:20 Parak Lane, Duluth, MN 23850:4/12/23:780900 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrSammyD
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Communicate to the OS(linux) using front end.

Hi guys , I want to develop a web page which is capable of executing the command on os and show the output on the browser.(Which involves reading and writing too.) I m using jsp language to develop the web page. How would i use it to communicate with my linux server? Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line starting from space till end.

Hi, I have a code tag, from which i have the below snippet: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=ODBC> intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=SYBASE> I want the output like: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB intelrpt.GetCMB_FB That is remove the lines starting from WHITESPACE till end. Please help. I am new to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

8. Programming

Publish notification via application front end

hi All I use tomcat server to publish war file. How to send an notification to users via the application screen and it should dismiss once user clicks X mark. Any suggestions ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
0 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)