Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace variable inside the variable Post 302111392 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Wednesday 21st of March 2007 04:18:49 AM
Old 03-21-2007
what's the error you are getting from my code???? And also, remember all the multiple lines will be converted to one line when assignint it to a variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed , Replace a "variable text" inside of a statement

Please Help... I am trying to manipulte the following line Before : <user:Account_Password>002786</user:Account_Password> the password is the "variable", i need to delete / omit the password in the file, (it occurs several thousand times) so the tag line looks like After:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackn7
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variable inside another variable.

Any help would be great. I know this is a dumb way of doing this, but I would like to know if there is a solution doing it this way. I'm very new at this and I'd like to learn more. Thanks! :D:D count=0 while ; do echo "enter your name" read name_$count let count=count+1 done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reconflux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

evaluating a variable inside a variable

Hi there, i think im getting myself a little confused and need some help :wall: I am reading in a bunch of variables to my script from an external file and need to validate that a value has been set for each so if you can imagine, the user is required to pass in 4 values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies
MORE(1) 							   User Commands							   MORE(1)

NAME
more -- file perusal filter for crt viewing SYNOPSIS
more [-dlfpcsu] [-num] [+/pattern] [+linenum] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
more is a filter for paging through text one screenful at a time. This version is especially primitive. Users should realize that less(1) provides more(1) emulation plus extensive enhancements. OPTIONS
Command-line options are described below. Options are also taken from the environment variable MORE (make sure to precede them with a dash (``-'')) but command line options will override them. -num This option specifies an integer which is the screen size (in lines). -d more will prompt the user with the message "[Press space to continue, 'q' to quit.]" and will display "[Press 'h' for instructions.]" instead of ringing the bell when an illegal key is pressed. -l more usually treats ^L (form feed) as a special character, and will pause after any line that contains a form feed. The -l option will prevent this behavior. -f Causes more to count logical, rather than screen lines (i.e., long lines are not folded). -p Do not scroll. Instead, clear the whole screen and then display the text. Notice that this option is switched on automatically if the executable is named page. -c Do not scroll. Instead, paint each screen from the top, clearing the remainder of each line as it is displayed. -s Squeeze multiple blank lines into one. -u Suppress underlining. +/ The +/ option specifies a string that will be searched for before each file is displayed. +num Start at line number num. COMMANDS
Interactive commands for more are based on vi(1). Some commands may be preceded by a decimal number, called k in the descriptions below. In the following descriptions, ^X means control-X. h or ? Help: display a summary of these commands. If you forget all the other commands, remember this one. SPACE Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. z Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. Argument becomes new default. RETURN Display next k lines of text. Defaults to 1. Argument becomes new default. d or ^D Scroll k lines. Default is current scroll size, initially 11. Argument becomes new default. q or Q or INTERRUPT Exit. s Skip forward k lines of text. Defaults to 1. f Skip forward k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. b or ^B Skip backwards k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. Only works with files, not pipes. ' Go to place where previous search started. = Display current line number. /pattern Search for kth occurrence of regular expression. Defaults to 1. n Search for kth occurrence of last r.e. Defaults to 1. !<cmd> or :!<cmd> Execute <cmd> in a subshell v Start up an editor at current line. The editor is taken from the environment variable VISUAL if defined, or EDITOR if VISUAL is not defined, or defaults to "vi" if neither VISUAL nor EDITOR is defined. ^L Redraw screen :n Go to kth next file. Defaults to 1. :p Go to kth previous file. Defaults to 1. :f Display current file name and line number . Repeat previous command ENVIRONMENT
More utilizes the following environment variables, if they exist: MORE This variable may be set with favored options to more. SHELL Current shell in use (normally set by the shell at login time). TERM Specifies terminal type, used by more to get the terminal characteristics necessary to manipulate the screen. SEE ALSO
vi(1), less(1) AUTHORS
Eric Shienbrood, UC Berkeley Modified by Geoff Peck, UCB to add underlining, single spacing Modified by John Foderaro, UCB to add -c and MORE environment variable HISTORY
The more command appeared in 3.0BSD. This man page documents more version 5.19 (Berkeley 6/29/88), which is currently in use in the Linux community. Documentation was produced using several other versions of the man page, and extensive inspection of the source code. AVAILABILITY
The more command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 util-linux