Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read list of filenames from text file, archive, and remove Post 302111324 by Perderabo on Tuesday 20th of March 2007 08:43:41 PM
Old 03-20-2007
Don't try to get find to read from your list. Instead do this:
find / -name > /tmp/every.last.file
grep -f /path/to/mylist /tmp/every.last.file
This should produce a list of pathnames to files. Look it over and be sure you want to delete all of this stuff. If you are sure you want to delete them all, do:
grep -f /path/to/mylist /tmp/every.last.file | xargs rm

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file then purge or archive.

Hi All, I have a root directory /tmp and I want to purge files or archive files in its subsequent subfolders.I listed the path of files I want to purge(archive) and the #of days. (purge) DAYS PATH 7 /tmp/arsenal/* 5 /tmp/chelsea/* (archive? the same as above but different folders... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read specific file from a zip archive without extracting

Hi All, I would like to extract specific file from a zip archive. I have a zip archive "sample.zip". sample.zip contains few text files and images... text1.txt, text2.txt, pic.jpg etc... I need to read specific file "text2.txt" from "sample.zip" WITHOUT EXTRACTING the zip file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharg
4 Replies

4. Programming

read file from tar.gz archive

I want to write a c-program which reads a textfile from a tar.gz archive. How can I do it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krylin
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Needed to Read a text from a list files

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. I need this script as I m planning to put this for a system health check. Please assist me. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashriram
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files from subdirectories given a list of filenames

Dear all, I have a dir structure like main_dir At_nn Ag_js Nf_hc .... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... and each subdir (e.g. mcd32, mgd43) contains files. Now, i... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -ltr a list of filenames-with-spaces within a text file

OS: RHEL 5.8 shell: bash 3.2.25 Directory /home/guest/ contains these files: file a file b file c fileD fileE fileF testFile.txt I'm trying to find the syntax to run ls -ltr against this list of files that is contained within a text file, testFile.txt. The file testFile.txt has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uschaafm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read n lines from a text files getting n from within the text file

I dont even have a sample script cause I dont know where to start from. My data lookes like this > sat#16 #data: 15 site:UNZA baseline: 205.9151 0.008 -165.2465 35.8109 40.6685 21.9148 121.1446 26.4629 -18.4976 33.8722 0.017 -165.2243 48.2201 40.6908 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I custom sort the files in a directory using the filenames in a text file.?

Hi all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)