Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: call function
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting call function Post 302111159 by Jamil Qadir on Monday 19th of March 2007 04:48:53 PM
Old 03-19-2007
I exacttly have no idea how I will get the return value in variable. Second recommand me the good site where I can get the answar for such a selly question.
Please also check my function is it ok for retun value.

thanks a lot.

jamil

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

function call

can I call a function in bash script just as in C++ while do function() done function() thanks, Steffen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
3 Replies

2. Programming

Help with a function call

Hi, Can anyone help me figure out the problem I'm having with a function call? I have a header file, which sets an enum: typedef enum {INFO, WARNING, FATAL} Levels; int log_event (Levels, char *fmt, ...); ..then the function is called this way: log_event(INFO, "Message text"); ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stevhp
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

function call

hi, can any one help me to correct this function call. awk -F "," '{ {first=$1; sec=$2; tro=$3;quat=$4 } if (tro == "") { $3 = search "$file2" "$first" "$file3" {print $1","$2","$3","$4} } else {print $1","$2","$3 $4}}' $file1 > $file search () { (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on function call

hello, when i call function inside awk traitement it doesn't work, i don't have error execution but i don't get result and if i call the function outside awk traitement it work well.. there's something special in awk call function?? here is the example : awk -F "," '{ {first=$1; sec=$2;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Call

How we can start a process if doesn't exists before? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Call

Hi, I have a string corresponding to a function. How I can call that function without if statement? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

diffrence between method call and function call in perl

Hello, I have a problem with package and name space. require "/Mehran/DSGateEngineLib/general.pl"; use strict; sub System_Status_Main_Service_Status_Intrusion_Prevention { my %idpstatus; my @result; &General_ReadHash("/var/dsg/idp/settings",\%idpstatus); #print... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function call

Hi foiks i am unable to find what is wrong in my code mu functionality is to exit from shell when i give 99 but it is not calling function ext Could you please correct me. read option if ; then ext else echo "out" fi function ext { echo "tested 99 and exit... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kojo
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

After exit from function it should not call other function

Below is my script that is function properly per my conditions but I am facing one problem here that is when one function fails then Iy should not check other functions but it calls the other function too So anyone can help me how could i achieve this? iNOUT i AM GIVING TO THE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Call a Function

Hi I have created a function in a Shell Script test.sh function fnTest() { echo "My first Method } I have called this function in my test.sh cat abc.txt | grep "test" echo " test" fnTest But while running the shell script i got the following error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
2 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)