Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix manual needed :)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting unix manual needed :) Post 302111130 by sysgate on Monday 19th of March 2007 10:12:17 AM
Old 03-19-2007
Please read the rules and avoid posting in L33t style, it's not acceptable. On the question : google everything you need like : "man ssh" and you will get the answer. Also, you may use the search function of the forum, there are many useful posts on howto start.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix help needed!

I have a few questions about Unix. Can you please help! 1.How do I create an alias that greps the password file for my username and returns my password file entry? Once I get the alias to work I want to be able to let a friend use it .So that he can use the alias to locate his password entry... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JJJ
1 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Unix Manual (man-page) pages in HTML

LINK: Unix Manual (man page) pages in HTML http://www.rt.com/man/ : More then 100 Commands found on a Unix system mannual pages can be obtained/refered here. Good Link.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

UNIX Commands / Manual

Hi Does anyone know were to go (web link please?) to learn the BACIS of UNIX in OS X, I would like to know a little more about unix (for the apple) but seem to get lost in all the wen sites, and idealy find a site where i could download a manual for the unix shell in OS X. Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianmoore
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help Needed Regarding Learning UNIX

Hello friends, I am doing my first year Engineering. I am intrested in learning UNIX. Please let me know how to start and what classes I have to take privatly. I am in US. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluespark_c99
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix help needed !!

friends i wanted to now whehter there exists a book as a solution to the questions posted in exercies of the Design of Unix Operating system by Maurice J Bach !..its really urgent !! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darshaan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed in Basic UNIX

hi friends, How to obtain list of groups we r a member of and redirect it to a file. how to append the details of current OS to a file. how to append the estimated file space to a file. how to append the details of users loged on along wth their current activity into a file. Thank you...I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby36
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help needed with unix script

Hi All, I need to find out the completed transactions count which happened during a particular time duration from a log file. I'm a newbie with scripts and i'm unable to figure out how to get this task done with scripts. I have a transaction log file which has various lines indicating the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haran_3k
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Manual run a script on UNIX

Hi,I'm currently working on an dev environment that has no jobs to run the scripts.How can I manual run the scripts. on Unix? ---------- Post updated at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:43 AM ---------- Is it something like this.... ../int/inbound>./filename.sh inputfilename ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonja
5 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix Homework Help needed

1 Petras Pavardenis 1980 5 08 Linas Bajoriunas 1970 10 3 Saulius Matikaitis 1982 2 5 Mindaugas Stulgis 1990 7 6 Rimas Nasickis 1964 10 7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaidastf
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Goto - UNIX v6 Manual Questions

Hey :) I am trying to understand the command goto. I have some questions regarding the goto manual. 1.What does the underlined part mean? I'm not allowed to type goto in the shell? But if goto is written into a file everything is okay? 2.So if a part of my file looks like this ... goto... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orbit
8 Replies
FSVS - URL format(5)						       fsvs						      FSVS - URL format(5)

NAME
Format of URLs - FSVS can use more than one URL; the given URLs are overlaid according to their priority. FSVS can use more than one URL; the given URLs are overlaid according to their priority. For easier managing they get a name, and can optionally take a target revision. Such an extended URL has the form ['name:'{name},]['target:'{t-rev},]['prio:'{prio},]URL where URL is a standard URL known by subversion -- something like http://...., svn://... or svn+ssh://.... The arguments before the URL are optional and can be in any order; the URL must be last. Example: name:perl,prio:5,svn://... or, using abbreviations, N:perl,P:5,T:324,svn://... Please mind that the full syntax is in lower case, whereas the abbreviations are capitalized! Internally the : is looked for, and if the part before this character is a known keyword, it is used. As soon as we find an unknown keyword we treat it as an URL, ie. stop processing. The priority is in reverse numeric order - the lower the number, the higher the priority. (See url__current_has_precedence() ) Why a priority? When we have to overlay several URLs, we have to know which URL takes precedence - in case the same entry is in more than one. (Which is not recommended!) Why a name? We need a name, so that the user can say 'commit all outstanding changes to the repository at URL x', without having to remember the full URL. After all, this URL should already be known, as there's a list of URLs to update from. You should only use alphanumeric characters and the underscore here; or, in other words, w or [a-zA-Z0-9_]. (Whitespace, comma and semicolon get used as separators.) What can I do with the target revision? Using the target revision you can tell fsvs that it should use the given revision number as destination revision - so update would go there, but not further. Please note that the given revision number overrides the -r parameter; this sets the destination for all URLs. The default target is HEAD. Note: In subversion you can enter URL@revision - this syntax may be implemented in fsvs too. (But it has the problem, that as soon as you have a @ in the URL, you must give the target revision every time!) There's an additional internal number - why that? This internal number is not for use by the user. It is just used to have an unique identifier for an URL, without using the full string. On my system the package names are on average 12.3 characters long (1024 packages with 12629 bytes, including newline): COLUMNS=200 dpkg-query -l | cut -c5- | cut -f1 -d' ' | wc So if we store an id of the url instead of the name, we have approx. 4 bytes per entry (length of strings of numbers from 1 to 1024). Whereas using the needs name 12.3 characters, that's a difference of 8.3 per entry. Multiplied with 150 000 entries we get about 1MB difference in filesize of the dir-file. Not really small ... And using the whole URL would inflate that much more. Currently we use about 92 bytes per entry. So we'd (unnecessarily) increase the size by about 10%. That's why there's an url_t::internal_number. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for fsvs from the source code. Version trunk:2424 11 Mar 2010 FSVS - URL format(5)