Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Stripping a portion of string from behind!!! Post 302111033 by ennstate on Sunday 18th of March 2007 01:44:36 PM
Old 03-18-2007
The cut/awk also be used

Using cut

Original contents of /tmp/a
aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007
aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007

cut -d'.' -f1,2 </tmp/a
Output:
aaaaa.bbbbb
aaaaa.bbbbb

You can also redirect the ouptut to a file.Hope this may help you.
Thanks
Nagaraj G

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string

How to extract a portion of a string from a full string using unix. For example: Say source string is = "req92374923.log" I want only the numeric portion of the string say "92374923" how to do that in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds_sastry
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out digits from a string with sed

i want to parse a string and only display the digits in that string... How would i accomplish this with sed command. For example. input string: " 033434343 dafasdf" output string: 03343434 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmylita
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first portion of string

I have a script which currently uses a file containing a list of directories as an argument. The file is read in to an array, and then the array is iterated in a for loop. What I would like to do is cut off the first few directories of the directory path (they won't exist on the server where the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping of a symbol from string not working properly

Hi All, I used this code to strip-off $-symbol from string values. a="$980" b="897" a=`echo "$a" | sed 's/$/ /g'` b=`echo "$b" | sed 's/$/ /g'` echo "$a" echo "$b" but this results in the output: 80 and 897 it works when i use a='$987' b='890' (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract portion of a string?

Hi Gurus, Would like to seek some help on how to extract a portion of string from log's output as shown below. Sample of raw data: piece handle=/test123/disk_dump/test123/df0_cntrl_PCPFCI20120404_68498 tag=TAG20120404T180035 comment=NONE piece... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get portion of string from the end

Hi all, Can anyone suggest a way to get a portion of string from the end? So: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr1 We can drop the final '1' and end up with: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr So far I have the following: echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-5 and echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-6 | rev any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
4 Replies
PMPARSECTIME(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   PMPARSECTIME(3)

NAME
__pmParseCtime - convert ctime(3) string to tm structure C SYNOPSIS
#include <pcp/pmapi.h> #include <pcp/impl.h> int __pmParseCtime(const char *string, struct tm *rslt, char **errmsg); cc ... -lpcp DESCRIPTION
__pmParseCtime reverses the asctime(3C) function. It accepts a string specifying a time, and fills in the given tm structure. Either a fully specified asctime(3C) string like "Mon Mar 4 13:07:47 1996" or a partially specified time like '1996", "Mar 1996", "Mar 4 1996", "Mar", "13:07:47", "13:07", "Mar 4 13:07:47",... is accepted. In addition, the seconds component may be a floating point number, for example "13:07:47.5". The 12 hour clock is also supported, so "13:07" and "1:07 pm" are equivalent. __pmParseCtime returns 0 if successful. It returns -1 and a dynamically allocated error message string in errmsg, if the given string does not parse. Be sure to free(3C) the error message string. The tm structure returned in rslt should only be used as an argument to the __pmConvertTime function, as it contains encoded information that will only be correctly interpreted by __pmConvertTime. SEE ALSO
PMAPI(3), pmParseInterval(3), __pmConvertTime(3) and __pmParseTime(3). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMPARSECTIME(3)