Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple platform scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple platform scripts Post 302110592 by *ptr on Wednesday 14th of March 2007 02:27:53 AM
Old 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson
#!/usr/bin/env bash
Yes, you're right thx. It works fine on Linux
But on SunOS the /usr/bin/env bash opens a new subshell, and my script doesn't start
running until I logout from the new shell. (actually no additional terminal is opened, just a shell started in the current terminal)
The newly started shell remains active until I press Ctrl+D one or more times to logout (on several scripts I observed that I need to press ^D three times to logout from the shell), after that the script starts running.

I'm wondering why exactly acts on SunOS in this way....

Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestion Mr. Johnson

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running multiple scripts

Hi all I have a requirement where I have a flow like Script1 script2 Script3 Script 4 Script 5 Script 6 script7 where script2 to script6 will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

usage of same variable in multiple scripts

Hi, I have a .test file which has: #!/bin/ksh export TEST_FLAG=1 In the test1.ksh i have: #!/bin/ksh . .test echo $TEST_FLAG When i execute the test1.ksh its showing the value as 1. But if i refer the same variable in another script, the value is not 1. Basically, I need to have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching of IP_add in multiple scripts

Hi forum memebers, I want know what is the grep command a IP_add or host in the multiple scripts in one directory. Thanks in advance. Siva Ranganath.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling multiple scripts from another scripts

Dear all, I am working on script which call other shell scripts in a loop but problem is from second script am not able to come out. Here is the snippet:- #!/bin/bash HSFILE=/root/Test/Components.txt LOGFile=/opt/domain/AdminDomain/application/logs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sessions across multiple scripts.

I wish to be able to pass PHP values between multiple scripts. In each script, I have the following before any HTML code: <?php session_start(); session_name("STORE"); session_set_cookie_params( 'lifetime', '/var/www' ); session_id('Gingy'); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple scripts using if condition

I have an if condition. If that condition is true then one script will be run and after that I need to check another condition based on the output value of first script. i tried like below : cd lock if ; then rm exitup if ; then kb_shutdown kb_startup if ; then rm exitup if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charanarjun
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Multiple scripts at a time

Hello! I have a scriptA.ksh and in this script I need to call script1.ksh, script2.ksh, script3.ksh, script4.ksh and script5.ksh. But want to run in two batches like 1st script1.ksh, script2.ksh, script3.ksh, once all 3 are completed then script4.ksh script5.ksh I have given the syntax... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To run multiple scripts

Hi , Can someone help! I need a shell script to run multiple scripts by using single shell script, incase any one of the scripts fails, it should get exit and after trouble shooting if we re-execute it, it should start from the failed script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anniesurolyn
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple Users - Multiple Scripts

Hello All, I have to restart 100's of scripts for at least 20+ users once the server restarts for any reason. I wanted to come up with a single script to trigger of all scripts/programs under all users with just one script (without root privilege). Is it possible to do so? :confused: If not,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)