Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change Position of word character Post 302110298 by vino on Monday 12th of March 2007 01:32:10 AM
Old 03-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoden
Plz Give a try on this.

sed 's/\(.*|\)\([0-9][0-9]\)\([0-9][0-9]\)\([0-9][0-9]\)\(|\)/\1\4-\3-19\2\6/' filename

Note:This will change 04 to 1904,not 2004

Thnx.
Dennis
.* results in a greedy match. If there are more 2 delimiters, then it would pick up the last field.

Your sed statement should look like

Code:
sed -e "s/\([^|].*|\)\(..\)\(..\)\(..\)/\1\4-\3-$(date +%C)\2/g" in.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Character position

Hi , I am required to view the fixed postion file very often . I am looking for the utility like this if the file has a one or multile line abcdefghijklmnopqr Utility should make my file look like this 12345678910111213141516-------------------------- abcdefghijk l m n o p q r ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akrathi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a word position in a file ?

Hello everybody, I have a file like this : "window 1 truck 3 duck 2... fire 1... etc..." and I would like to print the following number of a word I am searching for. (For example here, if I search for the word "fire", I will print "1") Thank you for your help ! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tibo
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a word in a file, and change a word beneath it ??

Hi all, I have a file with lines written somewhat like this. aaaa ccc aa linux browse = no xssxw cdcedc dcsdcd csdw police dwed dwd browse = no cdecec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to parse a word character by character

Hi All, Can anyone help me please, I have a word like below. 6,76 I want to read this word and check if it has "," (comma) and if yes then i want to replace it with "." (dot). That means i want to be changed to 6.76 If the word doesnot contain "," then its should not be changed. Eg. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify the position of character

Hi, Can some one guide me to identify the position of a character using index in UNIX. I have a record like "17/11/2010 15:16:39;reject;10.44.48.65;daemon alert; src: 10.44.48.112; dst: 172.21.52.88" . I need to identify the value which comes after _src:_ (_ denotes space). I am able to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneel.mekala
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change a character based on its position number

Hi I have a text file that I want to change some of the characters based on their position. My file contain multiple lines and characters should be counted continuously line by line. For example, I want to convert the 150th T to C. What can I do? Here is a portion of my file:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the 5th and 6th position character of a word in a file

I am trying to find/grep the 5th and 6th position character (TX) of a word in a file. I tried to do grep "....TX" file The output gives me everything in the file with TX in it. I only need the output with the TX in the 5th and 6th position of the word. Any idea Example: test1 car... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position of character in word

How can I represent the position of 1 (considering only the 1s after the colon) in the word from field5 and above; counting from right to left. Input: TT-124 06-03-14 08-02-10 FAS CAT1:10 TT-125-1 05-03-14 10-06-08 CAS CAT2:1010 FAT1:10000 TT-125-3 07-03-14 11-02-06 FAS FAT1:1101... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
seek(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   seek(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
seek - Change the access position for an open channel SYNOPSIS
seek channelId offset ?origin? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Changes the current access position for channelId. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as a Tcl standard channel (stdin, stdout, or stderr), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The offset and origin arguments specify the position at which the next read or write will occur for channelId. Offset must be an integer (which may be negative) and origin must be one of the following: start The new access position will be offset bytes from the start of the underlying file or device. current The new access position will be offset bytes from the current access position; a negative offset moves the access position back- wards in the underlying file or device. end The new access position will be offset bytes from the end of the file or device. A negative offset places the access position before the end of file, and a positive offset places the access position after the end of file. The origin argument defaults to start. The command flushes all buffered output for the channel before the command returns, even if the channel is in nonblocking mode. It also discards any buffered and unread input. This command returns an empty string. An error occurs if this command is applied to channels whose underlying file or device does not support seeking. Note that offset values are byte offsets, not character offsets. Both seek and tell operate in terms of bytes, not characters, unlike read. EXAMPLES
Read a file twice: set f [open file.txt] set data1 [read $f] seek $f 0 set data2 [read $f] close $f # $data1 == $data2 if the file wasn't updated Read the last 10 bytes from a file: set f [open file.data] # This is guaranteed to work with binary data but # may fail with other encodings... fconfigure $f -translation binary seek $f -10 end set data [read $f 10] close $f SEE ALSO
file(n), open(n), close(n), gets(n), tell(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
access position, file, seek Tcl 8.1 seek(n)