Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Modified : Alert me
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Modified : Alert me Post 302110086 by dennis.jacob on Saturday 10th of March 2007 01:04:24 AM
Old 03-10-2007
You can do something like below: This is just considering the same time..You may need to modify it if you want to consider same time for different day..
Code:
time=$(ls -l $1 | awk -F" "  '{ print $7 }')
while :
do
   chk_time=$(ls -l $1 | awk -F" "  '{ print $7 }')
   if [ "$chk_time" != "$time" ]
   then
      echo "File modified"
      mailx -s "File $1 modified"  abc.dfg@xxx.com
      break; # if you want to stop the script once mail is send
   fi
   sleep 5  # 5sec wait time
done

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 06-01-2010 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File last modified

I cannot read the last moment the file was modified - it returns "Most recent access" instead: code: </td> <th><?FILE *fatr=fopen(iindname.c_str(), "r"); if(fatr){ struct stat statbuf; fstat(fileno(fatr), &statbuf); fclose(fatr); ?> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

who modified my file!!

Hi EVERYONE!!... Just a simple (yet critical from my perspective) doubt... I would like to know who had edited my file.. when I use ls -l command, I see my ID.. but when I edit using some other ID, I had expected that ID to be shown.. but still ls -l shows my ID only.. So, is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How many days since a file was modified?

I am trying to write a script to backup my laptop to a NAS drive using rsync. I want the backup to be done, only if it has been more than a week since my last backup. Each time the rsync command executes, I also create a file backuptime.txt file, with the time at which the script completed the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anandjayaraman
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a filename modified by attaching modified timestamp

Hi, I want to modify a filename in AIX by attaching the last modified timestamp. I want the timestamp completely in numerical format (eg:200905081210. yr-2009, mnth - 05, date -08, hr - 12, mins - 10). For example if the filename is a.log and it was modified on April 6th 2008 at 21.00. I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruks
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How long since file has been modified

how can I find out if a file has been modified less than 24hrs ago (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a file when the inode modified time of the other file changes

i have a requirement where i needed to change variable values in a properties file(first file) whenever there is change to Release details file(second file). My question is do i have to create a daemon process that always checks the modified time/inode change of the second file and then change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for the file existence, if file exists it should echo the no of modified days

Hi, I am looking for a shell script with the following. 1. It should check whether a particular file exists in a location #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "xxx.txt File Exists" else echo "File Not Found" fi 2. If file exists, it should check for the modified date and run a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikeyan_mac
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to alert if a file has been modified

Hi , I want a script who will send alert the moment someone edit any file in a directory in LINUX. Can some one throw some light on this please.!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: d8011
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who has modified a file - History?

Hello, I'd want to know who and what time has modified a file in unix (history). I'd like to know all people who has modified a file. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurinolo
6 Replies
rt-email-dashboards(8)					     Request Tracker Reference					    rt-email-dashboards(8)

NAME
rt-email-dashboards - Send email dashboards SYNOPSIS
rt-email-dashboards [options] DESCRIPTION
This tool will send users email based on how they have subscribed to dashboards. A dashboard is a set of saved searches, the subscription controls how often that dashboard is sent and how it's displayed. Each subscription has an hour, and possibly day of week or day of month. These are taken to be in the user's timezone if available, UTC otherwise. SETUP
You'll need to have cron run this script every hour. Here's an example crontab entry to do this. 0 * * * * /usr/bin/perl /opt/rt4/local/sbin/rt-email-dashboards This will run the script every hour on the hour. This may need some further tweaking to be run as the correct user. OPTIONS
This tool supports a few options. Most are for debugging. -h --help Display this documentation --dryrun Figure out which dashboards would be sent, but don't actually generate or email any of them --time SECONDS Instead of using the current time to figure out which dashboards should be sent, use SECONDS (usually since midnight Jan 1st, 1970, so 1192216018 would be Oct 12 19:06:58 GMT 2007). --epoch SECONDS Back-compat for --time SECONDS. --all Ignore subscription frequency when considering each dashboard (should only be used with --dryrun for testing and debugging) perl v5.14.2 2013-05-22 rt-email-dashboards(8)