Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strip 3 header lines and 4 trailer lines Post 302110038 by anbu23 on Friday 9th of March 2007 02:36:48 PM
Old 03-09-2007
Code:
sed -e :a -e '$d;N;2,4ba' -e 'P;D'

$d;N;2,4ba
N appends second line to pattern space. Since second line is in pattern space 2,4ba makes control to shift to -e :a.
Then N appends third line to pattern space. 2,4ba makes control shift to -e :a.
Then N appends fourth line to pattern space and control is shifted to -e :a.
If the fourth line is the last line then $d deletes all the lines in the pattern space else N appends fifth line to pattern space.
Now 2,4ba is not satisfied then P is executed to print the first line in pattern space and this line is then deleted by D command.
Then control is shifted to start of commands. If fifth line is last line then $d deletes all the lines in the pattern space and continues to till the end of file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append Header and Trailer

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix programming. My inquries is:- a) How to add a Header and Trailer in the set of data b) Include a number count of the data in the trailer The set of data only contained the information of 'Customer's Name' and 'Account Number'. I would like to add the Header... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balzzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip first 4 and last 2 lines from a file using perl

Hi I have a file from which i need to remove the first 4 and the last 2 lines.. i know how to do it with sed but i need to do it in a perl script.. can you please help me how to do that. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip one line from 2 blank lines in a file

Hi Is there any command to scan thru a file looking for 2 consecutive blank lines and if any remove one of them. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Strip lines off Streamed EDI Output

Attached is a streamed EDI ANSI X12 output where the segment terminator/delimiter is a tilde ~ character. Is it possible to do the following pseudo-code in a unix script (using either sed, awk and/or grep)? Open file StreamedOutput.txt Search for ISA and delete the data up to the tilde ~ char... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapedi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Header as is.. trailer count

i have .DAT file FILE1.DAT 1200910270040625 2123456789 J123456 ABC 2123456789 K123456 ABC 2222222222 L123456 DEF 2333333333 M12345 GHI 30000004 My outfile FILE2.TXT should have like this, I need the header value as ie (1200910270040625 ) body rows remove the duplicate rows and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshuser
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append transaction header lines to same transaction's detail lines

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone can give me a hand in helping me append transaction header line in a file at the end of the transaction detail lines. Basically, I have a file that looks like this: FHEAD File1 THEAD TRANS1-blah TDETL HI1 TDETL HI2 TDETL HI3 TTAIL TRANS1-blah THEAD... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie12
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

oneliner for adding header and trailer

for example, i have a file with below content: 123413 866688 816866 818818 i want the output as: This is header 123413 866688 816866 818818 This is trailer i am able to achieve it using a bash script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify the header and trailer in file

please see my requirement, I hope I am clear. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort without Header and Trailer

Hi , My UNIX system is SUN Solaris. I am trying to do a simple thing as described below. I have a PIPE delimited file that has header and trailer. So the file is something like below: Test1.txt looks like something below: field_data1|field_data2|and some more data --Header ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)