Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers appending strings in the files Post 302109952 by vijaylak on Friday 9th of March 2007 05:43:32 AM
Old 03-09-2007
appending strings in the files

I have some files created by a process in UNIX. I wanted to do some file processing:

1. I want to append a string "EOF" as the first word on the last line of all the files except the last file.

2.Similarly, I want to append "BOF" string as the first word to all the files except the first file, also this "BOF" string should be repeated for lines, till it find a line <abcd>.

Thanks for ur time!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending files

I have 25 transaction files that need to be put into one file and have the date of the file appended at the end of the line, anyone got a one liner or simple script to help me out thanks - Ed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edog
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending the two files

hi, I want to append to two files into a third file without new line like this: file 1: I am learning the unix file 2: Unix is very intersting When I am trying cat file1 file2 >> file3 I am getting: I am learning the unix Unix is very interesting But I want that to be in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish409
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending strings to variable

is it possible? as i keep reading a file, i want one particular variable to keep storing the line that i've read so far (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finalight
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending strings

Hi , while trying to append two strings, it is not properly coming. my code will be like this str1=_TrackingEAR srt2=1.0.0-20080523.155438-12 i am trying to build str3=$str1$str2.tgz but it is appending the last value ot the begingin of the string , but i expect to the end of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpio
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with appending strings using sed and variables

HI, Can't seem to find anything on the forums to fix this. I have a file, one line within this will not have a specific string at the end. I have the string, but need to append it to the specific line which has it missing. I need to use a variable for this, $string - I am using double... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandriver
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending two files vertically

Hi Need ur help for the below question. I have two files File-1 & File-2. File-1(This is a fixed file i.e. the content of this file is not going to change over a period of time) ------ a b c d e File-2 (This is a file which changes daily but the record count remains the same)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 46019
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending two strings

Hi, I have a small doubt. Here is the code snippet for which the output that I'm getting are a bit surprising. testing.sh #!/bin/sh arg_1=$1 echo "arg passed by user is:${arg_1}" mapping=`grep ${arg_1}= testing.conf | awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` echo "mapping is $mapping"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending two text files

Hi, i am using unix server and bash shell.. i have two csv files... i have file 1 as below... arun bvb ssx ccc and file 2 as below manas friu dfgg cat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
WC(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     WC(1)

NAME
wc -- word, line, character, and byte count SYNOPSIS
wc [-clmw] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The wc utility displays the number of lines, words, and bytes contained in each input file (or standard input, by default) to the standard output. A line is defined as a string of characters delimited by a <newline> character, and a word is defined as a string of characters delimited by white space characters. White space characters are the set of characters for which the iswspace(3) function returns true. If more than one input file is specified, a line of cumulative counts for all the files is displayed on a separate line after the output for the last file. The following options are available: -c The number of bytes in each input file is written to the standard output. -l The number of lines in each input file is written to the standard output. -m The number of characters in each input file is written to the standard output. If the current locale does not support multibyte characters, this is equivalent to the -c option. -w The number of words in each input file is written to the standard output. When an option is specified, wc only reports the information requested by that option. The default action is equivalent to specifying the -c, -l and -w options. If no files are specified, the standard input is used and no file name is displayed. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of wc as described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Count the number of characters, words and lines in each of the files report1 and report2 as well as the totals for both: wc -mlw report1 report2 DIAGNOSTICS
The wc utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
iswspace(3) COMPATIBILITY
Historically, the wc utility was documented to define a word as a ``maximal string of characters delimited by <space>, <tab> or <newline> characters''. The implementation, however, didn't handle non-printing characters correctly so that `` ^D^E '' counted as 6 spaces, while ``foo^D^Ebar'' counted as 8 characters. 4BSD systems after 4.3BSD modified the implementation to be consistent with the documentation. This implementation defines a ``word'' in terms of the iswspace(3) function, as required by IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). STANDARDS
The wc utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A wc command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 13, 2002 BSD