Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk (or an alternative) Post 302109902 by cfajohnson on Thursday 8th of March 2007 10:37:21 PM
Old 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltravisuk
Hi,

I'm trying to echo a variable that has values separated by colons, putting each value on a new line. So as an example, a variable I might have would contain:

My name is Earl:My name is Dorothy:My name is Bernard:

And I want the output:

My name is Earl
My name is Dorothy
My name is Bernard

Also, I will be unaware of how many values the colon separated variable will contain (as it is generated by another function), so whatever is used will need to be flexible enough to accommodate any number of values. I'm not very competent in awk, so is there a way this can be done either with awk or with something else?

Also, is it possible to specify a field separator (such as a colon or comma) to the for command?
To answer your last question first: yes, set IFS; see my code below.

You don't need awk:

Code:
var="My name is Earl:My name is Dorothy:My name is Bernard:"
set -f
IFS=:
printf "%s\n" $var

A slower method would be to use tr:

Code:
printf "%s\n" "${var%:}" | tr : '\n'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop alternative?

I have a 1-column file with random numbers. this script runs to subtract 1 to the number and written to a file. With over 10,000 lines, it takes >2 minutes to complete the loop operation. is there an alternative awk/sed for looping to reduce the wait? Thanks! #!/bin/ksh for N in `cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -f (or awk alternative)

I'm trying the following as i wish to get the last field in a report containing several fields, each line can have more fields than the previous, so I tried rvwords=`echo $rvstatus |wc -w` rvstat=`echo $rvstatus |cut -f $rvwords` but it prints the whole variable contents of $rvstatus rather... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for Cron

Hi... I want to know whether if there is any alternative for cron.:confused: I had written a script which checks for all system/application processes every 15 min(placed in cron though). But looks funny - what if cron daemon isn't running!! and expecting that script to update the OUTPUT FILE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

alternative for egrep -o on HP-UX

Hello to all board members!! I have a problem on a HP-UX system. I should write a script. Therefore I need to search after IP addresses in the output of a command. On Debian this works: ifconfig | egrep -o "{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}" The script where i need this is not ifconfig, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vostro
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using seq (Or alternative)

I usually just browse the forum/google for answers, however I've been stuck on a problem for a number of hours now and I've decided to join up and actually ask I've searched the forum ad naseum in an attempt to find answer to my query, however so far I have been unsuccessful. I'm no expert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

7. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a faster alternative to a slow awk command

Hi, I have a large number of input files with two columns of numbers. For example: 83 1453 99 3255 99 8482 99 7372 83 175 I only wish to retain lines where the numbers fullfil two requirements. E.g: =83 1000<=<=2000 To do this I use the following... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for goto

#!/bin/sh label: echo sql poll v=`sqlplus -s <<! HR/HR set pages 0 echo off feed off select distinct status from emp where id=5; ! ` echo $v; echo it comes here after false if then echo if condition true sqlplus -l scott/tiger <<EOF select * from department; EXIT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaar1986
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tip: alternative for NR==FNR in awk

Example: $ cat file1 2 3$ cat file2 1 2 3 4 5 6The following awk script works like a charm, NR==FNR is true for file1, the remainder runs for file2: awk ' NR==FNR {A; next} ($1 in A) ' file1 file2 2 3Now have an empty file1: >file1and run the awk script again. The result is empty... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
8 Replies
FindRef(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      FindRef(3pm)

NAME
Devel::FindRef - where is that reference to my variable hiding? SYNOPSIS
use Devel::FindRef; print Devel::FindRef::track $some_variable; DESCRIPTION
Tracking down reference problems (e.g. you expect some object to be destroyed, but there are still references to it that keep it alive) can be very hard. Fortunately, perl keeps track of all its values, so tracking references "backwards" is usually possible. The "track" function can help track down some of those references back to the variables containing them. For example, for this fragment: package Test; use Devel::FindRef; use Scalar::Util; our $var = "hi "; my $global_my = $var; our %global_hash = (ukukey => $var); our $global_hashref = { ukukey2 => $var }; sub testsub { my $testsub_local = $global_hashref; print Devel::FindRef::track $var; } my $closure = sub { my $closure_var = $_[0]; Scalar::Util::weaken (my $weak_ref = $var); testsub; }; $closure->($var); The output is as follows (or similar to this, in case I forget to update the manpage after some changes): SCALAR(0x7cc888) [refcount 6] is +- referenced by REF(0x8abcc8) [refcount 1], which is | in the lexical '$closure_var' in CODE(0x8abc50) [refcount 4], which is | +- the closure created at tst:18. | +- referenced by REF(0x7d3c58) [refcount 1], which is | | in the lexical '$closure' in CODE(0x7ae530) [refcount 2], which is | | +- the containing scope for CODE(0x8ab430) [refcount 3], which is | | | in the global &Test::testsub. | | +- the main body of the program. | +- in the lexical '&' in CODE(0x7ae530) [refcount 2], which was seen before. +- referenced by REF(0x7cc7c8) [refcount 1], which is | in the lexical '$global_my' in CODE(0x7ae530) [refcount 2], which was seen before. +- in the global $Test::var. +- referenced by REF(0x7cc558) [refcount 1], which is | in the member 'ukukey2' of HASH(0x7ae140) [refcount 2], which is | +- referenced by REF(0x8abad0) [refcount 1], which is | | in the lexical '$testsub_local' in CODE(0x8ab430) [refcount 3], which was seen before. | +- referenced by REF(0x8ab4f0) [refcount 1], which is | in the global $Test::global_hashref. +- referenced by REF(0x7ae518) [refcount 1], which is | in the member 'ukukey' of HASH(0x7d3bb0) [refcount 1], which is | in the global %Test::global_hash. +- referenced by REF(0x7ae2f0) [refcount 1], which is a temporary on the stack. It is a bit convoluted to read, but basically it says that the value stored in $var is referenced by: - the lexical $closure_var(0x8abcc8), which is inside an instantiated closure, which in turn is used quite a bit. - the package-level lexical $global_my. - the global package variable named $Test::var. - the hash element "ukukey2", in the hash in the my variable $testsub_local in the sub "Test::testsub" and also in the hash "$referenced by Test::hash2". - the hash element with key "ukukey" in the hash stored in %Test::hash. - some anonymous mortalised reference on the stack (which is caused by calling "track" with the expression "$var", which creates the reference). And all these account for six reference counts. EXPORTS
None. FUNCTIONS
$string = Devel::FindRef::track $ref[, $depth] Track the perl value pointed to by $ref up to a depth of $depth and return a descriptive string. $ref can point at any perl value, be it anonymous sub, hash, array, scalar etc. This is the function you most often use. @references = Devel::FindRef::find $ref Return arrayrefs that contain [$message, $ref] pairs. The message describes what kind of reference was found and the $ref is the reference itself, which can be omitted if "find" decided to end the search. The returned references are all weak references. The "track" function uses this to find references to the value you are interested in and recurses on the returned references. $ref = Devel::FindRef::ptr2ref $integer Sometimes you know (from debugging output) the address of a perl scalar you are interested in (e.g. "HASH(0x176ff70)"). This function can be used to turn the address into a reference to that scalar. It is quite safe to call on valid addresses, but extremely dangerous to call on invalid ones. # we know that HASH(0x176ff70) exists, so turn it into a hashref: my $ref_to_hash = Devel::FindRef::ptr2ref 0x176ff70; $ref = Devel::FindRef::ref2ptr $reference The opposite of "ptr2ref", above: returns the internal address of the value pointed to by the passed reference. No checks whatsoever will be done, so don't use this. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
You can set the environment variable "PERL_DEVEL_FINDREF_DEPTH" to an integer to override the default depth in "track". If a call explicitly specified a depth it is not overridden. AUTHOR
Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2007, 2008 by Marc Lehmann. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2009-08-30 FindRef(3pm)