Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to know year create/modified files? Post 302109897 by BOFH on Thursday 8th of March 2007 09:20:41 PM
Old 03-08-2007
ls shows month day time for current files (6 months old or newer) and month day year for files older than 6 months.

For OpenBSD, you can use the ls -lT command to force the year.

Code:
grunty: ls -lT tz.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 cschelin  users  15409631 Mar  1 18:50:22 2007 tz.tar.gz

In linux, you can use stat and just format the output to look like ls -lT in OpenBSD.

Code:
harpy: stat -c "%A %h %U %G %s %x" tz.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 cschelin cschelin 15409631 2007-03-01 19:16:34.000000000 -0700

It's not exact and just the stat command will return a lot of info:

Code:
harpy: stat tz.tar.gz
  File: `tz.tar.gz'
  Size: 15409631        Blocks: 30144      IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 901h/2305d      Inode: 32786       Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (  501/cschelin)   Gid: (  501/cschelin)
Access: 2007-03-01 19:16:34.000000000 -0700
Modify: 2007-03-01 19:16:06.000000000 -0700
Change: 2007-03-01 19:16:06.000000000 -0700

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find out the exact year in "Last modified time" using ls command

Hi, I understand that the ls command with "-l" option generates the "last modified time" of specific directory. However, some generated results displayed the "last modified time" with detail about the last modified year, for example: -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 smith dev 10876 May 16 2005 part2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dophlinne
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Year directory, date subdirectory and archive the file

Hi, After checking all the UNIX threads, I am able to come up with a solution so far. I am working on a shell script where it moves the files to a certain directory. The conditions to check are 1) Check if the file exists in the current directory. 2) Check if the destination directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a list of files that were modified after a given date.

Hello Mates! I'm kinda new to unix and need to a solve a problem. Input: date Situation: With the given date I need to find a list of all such files starting from a given path that were modified after the given date. I experimented with the "find" with "-newer" but did not quite get it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkka
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files except last modified

Hello All, I need to delete all the files with a particular naming format at a fixed path except the latest 1. Please help. example: At path /tmp, I have 3 files viz: log1, log2 and log3. file log2 was the one that was modified most recently. So I need to find and delete log1 and log3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files by year

can someone provide a command to delete files by year? I have several files created last year 2009. Im trying to list first ls -lrt | grep '/2009/ {print $10}' by it returns no result. Pls advise (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files using year

Hi All, how can i delete files from my Unix directory on the basis of year, i have files from 2001 to till 2014, but from their, i have to delete only 2013 file.Below is my file name rwxrwxrwx 1 guopt users 5169 Jul 12 00:30 grt592_20130712003000.SAP Thanks Kki (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two year files

Hi All, I need to merge few files as belowABC_NYFWFX.txt ABC_NYFQTFX.txt ABC_NYFMAFX.txt ABC_NYFAVFX.txt ABC_CYFWFX.txt ABC_CYFQTFX.txt ABC_CYFMAFX.txt ABC_CYFAVFX.txt ABC_CYBWFX.txt ABC_NYFWFX.txt & ABC_CYFWFX.txt should be merged into a single file and name should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file every year and log data to it

Hi there, Here is what I currently have and trying to come up with a logic to automatically append logs to a respective year file. The log files might get generated everyday or any other day, irrespective of which I want to copy all of the logs for that year into one file /tmp/<year>.log and then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
4 Replies
sttime(3)						    ShapeTools Toolkit Library							 sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)