Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: make fuser send SIGTERM?
Operating Systems HP-UX make fuser send SIGTERM? Post 302109844 by adamides on Thursday 8th of March 2007 09:57:08 AM
Old 03-08-2007
Actually it's easier than that. Apparently when you pipe the output of fuser, only the PIDs are piped. You can simply fuser the file and pipe it to 'xargs kill -SIGTERM'. You can check it out yourself by redirecting the output to a file and then cat'ing it:

[]ksh: /usr/sbin/fuser ../logs/application.log
../logs/application.log: 1297o 1309o

[]ksh: /usr/sbin/fuser ../logs/application.log > out.txt
../logs/application.log: oo
[]ksh: cat out.txt
1297 1309
[]ksh:

Last edited by adamides; 03-08-2007 at 11:05 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

signals - SIGTERM

Hi all, I need some urgent help. we are using Dynix/ptx V4.5 on i386, have several processes and instances are running on the box round the clock.we increased the processes recently. We have coded to handle the signals in our programs. Recently, we noticed most of our processes are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyb
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to implement SIGKILL and SIGTERM and print a message?

Hello, I am running a webserver that uses sockets, forks, and children. The parent process listens for connections and the child processes the information. I am trying to figure out why the code I have below SIGTERM, and SIGKILL never fire. I was messing around with the printfs and doesnt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: norelco55
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make ssh and send commands

Hi, I'm trying to make an SSH into a SGSN node and collect some commands printouts.:confused: I really don't know how this can be done. I think it must be like this: #!/bin/bash ssh user@192.168.88.10 Then I must enter the password, but I don't know how to do it, I tried with: echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagomes
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

make un shell script to send email

Hi, Someone Knows how to obtein a chain from a unix file, but not all the line, for exemple, for this file ,obtein only 902111111 and to keep the value, this value will be used to make a mailx. NF=ALL, SUBJ= FROM: SN=CD, SE=TOPCALL, NA=, N=902111111, N=TCLFI TO: SE=FAX, NA=, C1=... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peybol
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect SIGTERM,SIGKILL signal in UNIX

Dear All We have JBOSS server running on Linux we need to track Graceful Shutdown(SIGTERM) and Forceful Shutdown(SIGKILL) timestamp and write it into one file, I am new to UNIX Signal processing if is it possible how to detect it? We generally do $kill PID For Graceful... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
5 Replies

6. Programming

Reliable management of signal SIGPIPE and SIGTERM

I' m note very expert in the reliable manage of signal... but in my server I must manage SIGPIPE for the socket and SIGTERM... I've wrote this but there is something wrong... Can someone explain me with some example the reliable management of signal?? This is what I've wrote in the server ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
2 Replies

7. Programming

how can i make that a process child send a signal?

I'm trying to do a program that makes activate an signal (SINGALARM) when the next child of a son appears but this not works. I have to caught the next child o the other (pid), to send a singnal which inform a menssage. It's anything worng in the code? thanks. the code: #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmaster
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh child process not ignoring SIGTERM

My ksh version is ksh93- =>rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-3.fc13.i686 I have a simple script which is as below - #cat test_sigterm.sh - #!/bin/ksh trap 'echo "removing"' QUIT while read line do sleep 20 done I am Executing the script From Terminal 1 - 1. The ksh is started... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpoornar
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fuser alternative OR running fuser on a script

Hi, Not sure whether there is a fuser alternative or any better way to check for file in use or not. I am wanting to check whether files are in use or not before removing them. Using fuser, the awk seems to be giving me 'weird' output not to mention that it is giving me 2 lines instead of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
0 Replies

10. AIX

SIGTERM failing in AIX

I have 2 AIX 6.1 systems running on PowerPCs - production and .. .everything else. :p . Until the installation of a TLS certificate in an application, some copying of files ("cloning an environment") and upgrading a listener, sending a kill -15 worked on any script/application, so long as we were... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mrucker
6 Replies
FUSER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  FUSER(1)

NAME
fuser -- list IDs of all processes that have one or more files open SYNOPSIS
fuser [-cfkmu] [-M core] [-N system] [-s signal] file ... DESCRIPTION
The fuser utility writes to stdout the PIDs of processes that have one or more named files open. For block and character special devices, all processes using files on that device are listed. A file is considered open by a process if it was explicitly opened, is the working directory, root directory, jail root directory, active executable text, kernel trace file or the controlling terminal of the process. If -m option is specified, the fuser utility will also look through mmapped files. The following options are available: -c Treat files as mount point and report on any files open in the file system. -f The report must be only for named files. -k Send signal to reported processes (SIGKILL by default). -m Search through mmapped files too. -u Write the user name associated with each process to stderr. -M Extract values associated with the name list from the specified core instead of the default /dev/kmem. -N Extract the name list from the specified system instead of the default, which is the kernel image the system has booted from. -s Use given signal name instead of default SIGKILL. The following symbols, written to stderr will indicate how files is used: r The file is the root directory of the process. c The file is the current workdir directory of the process. j The file is the jail-root of the process. t The file is the kernel tracing file for the process. x The file is executable text of the process. y The process use this file as its controlling tty. m The file is mmapped. w The file is open for writing. a The file is open as append only (O_APPEND was specified). d The process bypasses fs cache while writing to this file (O_DIRECT was specified). s Shared lock is hold. e Exclusive lock is hold. EXIT STATUS
The fuser utility returns 0 on successful completion and >0 otherwise. EXAMPLES
The command: ``fuser -fu .'' writes to standard output the process IDs of processes that are using the current directory and writes to stderr an indication of how those processes are using the directory and user names associated with the processes that are using this directory. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), ps(1), systat(1), iostat(8), pstat(8), vmstat(8) STANDARDS
The fuser utility is expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2004 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The fuser utility appeared in FreeBSD 9.0. AUTHORS
The fuser utility and this manual page was written by Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Since fuser takes a snapshot of the system, it is only correct for a very short period of time. When working via kvm(3) interface the report will be limited to filesystems the fuser utility knows about (currently only cd9660, devfs, nfs, ntfs, nwfs, udf, ufs and zfs). BSD
May 13, 2011 BSD