Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk (or an alternative) Post 302109830 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 8th of March 2007 08:39:38 AM
Old 03-08-2007
if you have Python, here's an alternative:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
s = "name is Earl:My name is Dorothy:My name is Bernard:"
for item in s.split(":"):
    print item

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop alternative?

I have a 1-column file with random numbers. this script runs to subtract 1 to the number and written to a file. With over 10,000 lines, it takes >2 minutes to complete the loop operation. is there an alternative awk/sed for looping to reduce the wait? Thanks! #!/bin/ksh for N in `cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -f (or awk alternative)

I'm trying the following as i wish to get the last field in a report containing several fields, each line can have more fields than the previous, so I tried rvwords=`echo $rvstatus |wc -w` rvstat=`echo $rvstatus |cut -f $rvwords` but it prints the whole variable contents of $rvstatus rather... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for Cron

Hi... I want to know whether if there is any alternative for cron.:confused: I had written a script which checks for all system/application processes every 15 min(placed in cron though). But looks funny - what if cron daemon isn't running!! and expecting that script to update the OUTPUT FILE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

alternative for egrep -o on HP-UX

Hello to all board members!! I have a problem on a HP-UX system. I should write a script. Therefore I need to search after IP addresses in the output of a command. On Debian this works: ifconfig | egrep -o "{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}" The script where i need this is not ifconfig, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vostro
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using seq (Or alternative)

I usually just browse the forum/google for answers, however I've been stuck on a problem for a number of hours now and I've decided to join up and actually ask I've searched the forum ad naseum in an attempt to find answer to my query, however so far I have been unsuccessful. I'm no expert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

7. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a faster alternative to a slow awk command

Hi, I have a large number of input files with two columns of numbers. For example: 83 1453 99 3255 99 8482 99 7372 83 175 I only wish to retain lines where the numbers fullfil two requirements. E.g: =83 1000<=<=2000 To do this I use the following... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for goto

#!/bin/sh label: echo sql poll v=`sqlplus -s <<! HR/HR set pages 0 echo off feed off select distinct status from emp where id=5; ! ` echo $v; echo it comes here after false if then echo if condition true sqlplus -l scott/tiger <<EOF select * from department; EXIT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaar1986
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tip: alternative for NR==FNR in awk

Example: $ cat file1 2 3$ cat file2 1 2 3 4 5 6The following awk script works like a charm, NR==FNR is true for file1, the remainder runs for file2: awk ' NR==FNR {A; next} ($1 in A) ' file1 file2 2 3Now have an empty file1: >file1and run the awk script again. The result is empty... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
8 Replies
DH_PYTHON(1)							     Debhelper							      DH_PYTHON(1)

NAME
dh_python - calculates Python dependencies and adds postinst and prerm Python scripts (deprecated) SYNOPSIS
dh_python [debhelperoptions] [-n] [-V version] [moduledirs...] DESCRIPTION
Note: This program is deprecated. You should use dh_pysupport or dh_pycentral instead. This program will do nothing if debian/pycompat or a Python-Version control file field exists. dh_python is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the ${python:Depends} substitutions and adding them to substvars files. It will also add a postinst and a prerm script if required. The program will look at Python scripts and modules in your package, and will use this information to generate a dependency on python, with the current major version, or on pythonX.Y if your scripts or modules need a specific python version. The dependency will be substituted into your package's control file wherever you place the token ${python:Depends}. If some modules need to be byte-compiled at install time, appropriate postinst and prerm scripts will be generated. If already byte- compiled modules are found, they are removed. If you use this program, your package should build-depend on python. OPTIONS
module dirs If your package installs Python modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_python check those directories by passing their names on the command line. By default, it will check /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/$PACKAGE, /usr/lib/games/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/games/$PACKAGE and /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages. Note: only /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages and the extra names on the command line are searched for binary (.so) modules. -V version If the .py files your package ships are meant to be used by a specific pythonX.Y version, you can use this option to specify the desired version, such as 2.3. Do not use if you ship modules in /usr/lib/site-python. -n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.5.7 Python policy, version 0.3.7 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> most ideas stolen from Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_PYTHON(1)