Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork() help
Top Forums Programming fork() help Post 302109779 by Hitori on Thursday 8th of March 2007 03:08:34 AM
Old 03-08-2007
Code:
/* Includes */
#include <unistd.h>     /* Symbolic Constants */
#include <sys/types.h>  /* Primitive System Data Types */ 
#include <errno.h>      /* Errors */
#include <stdio.h>      /* Input/Output */
#include <sys/wait.h>   /* Wait for Process Termination */
#include <stdlib.h>     /* General Utilities */

int main()
{
    pid_t childpid; /* variable to store the child's pid */
    int retval;     /* child process: user-provided return code */
    int status;     /* parent process: child's exit status */

/* only 1 int variable is needed because each process would have its
       own instance of the variable
       here, 2 int variables are used for clarity */

/* now create new process */
    childpid = fork();

if (childpid >= 0) /* fork succeeded */
    {
        if (childpid == 0) /* fork() returns 0 to the child process */
        {
            printf("CHILD: I am the child process!\n");
            printf("CHILD: Here's my PID: %d\n", getpid());
            printf("CHILD: My parent's PID is: %d\n", getppid());
            printf("CHILD: The value of my copy of childpid is: %d\n", childpid);
            printf("CHILD: Sleeping for 1 second...\n");
            sleep(1); /* sleep for 1 second */
            printf("CHILD: Enter an exit value (0 to 255): ");
            scanf(" %d", &retval);
            printf("CHILD: Goodbye!\n");    
            exit(retval); /* child exits with user-provided return code */
        }
        else /* fork() returns new pid to the parent process */
        {
            printf("PARENT: I am the parent process!\n");
            printf("PARENT: Here's my PID: %d\n", getpid());
            printf("PARENT: The value of my copy of childpid is %d\n", childpid);
            printf("PARENT: I will now wait for my child to exit.\n");
            wait(&status); /* wait for child to exit, and store its status */
            printf("PARENT: Child's exit code is: %d\n", WEXITSTATUS(status));
            printf("PARENT: Goodbye!\n");             
            exit(0);  /* parent exits */       
        }
    }
    else /* fork returns -1 on failure */
    {
        perror("fork"); /* display error message */
        exit(0); 
    }
}

This User Gave Thanks to Hitori For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fork

What is a fork? Why would one create a fork? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fork? Please advise. Thank You. Deepali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepali
5 Replies

2. Programming

fork() fd

I run this code, actually I want to both processes print the message from "data". But only one does. What happens? Anyone can help? #include <stdio.h> main(){ int fd, pid; char x; fd = open("data",0); /* open file "data" */ pid = fork(); if(pid != 0){ wait(0); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herman
2 Replies

3. Programming

fork()

#include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #define MAX_COUNT 200 #define BUF_SIZE 100 void main(void) { pid_t pid; int i; char buf; fork(); pid = getpid(); for (i = 1; i <= MAX_COUNT; i++) { sprintf(buf,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKSRaja
2 Replies

4. Programming

Fork or what?

Hello all. I'm developing a filetransfer application, which is supposed to work sort of like dcc, with multiple transfers etc. Now i wonder what the best way to manage the transfers is. Should i fork() for each new transfer, hogging loads of memory or use pthreads? Maybe I can use select to see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crippe
0 Replies

5. Programming

Fork ()

hi all About this code for (i = 1; i < n; i++) if ((childpid = fork()) <= 0) break; I really can't understand the output . and the way fork () return the value . how about the process Id ,the child process Id and the parent ID in this case so please answer me soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
1 Replies

7. Programming

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
2 Replies

8. Programming

Fork()

does fork() spawn only the parent process, what if fork() is looped, does it spawn the parent and the child? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peevish
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork()

I'm trying to run a simple test on how to use fork(), i'm able to execute the child process first then the parent, but how can I execute parent then child..? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

10. Programming

Fork!

I understand that fork create a child but I need very simple example that make child useful.... I mean how will make the program faster anyone explain with code plz using C plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies
FORK(3F)																  FORK(3F)

NAME
fork - create a copy of this process SYNOPSIS
integer function fork() DESCRIPTION
Fork creates a copy of the calling process. The only distinction between the 2 processes is that the value returned to one of them (referred to as the `parent' process) will be the process id of the copy. The copy is usually referred to as the `child' process. The value returned to the `child' process will be zero. All logical units open for writing are flushed before the fork to avoid duplication of the contents of I/O buffers in the external file(s). If the returned value is negative, it indicates an error and will be the negation of the system error code. See perror(3F). A corresponding exec routine has not been provided because there is no satisfactory way to retain open logical units across the exec. How- ever, the usual function of fork/exec can be performed using system(3F). FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
fork(2), wait(3F), kill(3F), system(3F), perror(3F) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FORK(3F)