Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change network time protocol
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) change network time protocol Post 302109371 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Monday 5th of March 2007 05:05:08 PM
Old 03-05-2007
Have you tried editing (or creating) an /etc/ntp.conf file?

contents of that file should look something like this:
Code:
server time.someserver.com minpoll 12 maxpoll 17

There are of course lots of things you can specify in that file, but the string above should work if it's a valid time server.

For more info, Google ntp.conf

Also, ntpdate sets the date under two conditions. Greater than 5 seconds, or less than 5 seconds. What it does in either case is spelled out in the man page for ntpdate.
The man page also seems to imply you can specify a time server on the command line as an option only if ntpdate can find a reference to "a" time server that ntpd uses in netinfo.
Seems sorta silly...

Anyway, use the ntp.conf file and ntpd for most time syncing. It works pretty well.

Last edited by [MA]Flying_Meat; 03-05-2007 at 06:25 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

RH 9 and Network Time Protocol

I have a small program written in C using winsock v1, that uses a unix host to get the time. I have two machines networked, one windows, the other red hat 9. The windows machine will request the time off the RH one. How can I configure red hat to reply to the time request, i.e act as an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaredGalen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want know about network protocol testing

Hi guys, i want to know about network protocol testing. 1. What is network protocol testing? 2. Whats the role of network protocol tester? 3. Is there good future scope in network protocol testing field? 4. Just give me a example of protocol testing. 5. How it relates to perl or unix? Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help showing which network protocol users use.

I'm having a bit of a trouble trying to figure out how to tell which network protocol users HAVE been logging in with. I know how to find this information for currently logged in users : maximillian.gardner@syccuxfs01:~> who joseph.blosser pts/0 2012-01-15 14:07 (198.107.160.185)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximillian.g
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Change congestion protocol in Solaris 10

I have a client with a meshed Cisco backbone. 6500's on top, Nexus 7000 in the middle and 4500's in bottom. Solaris 10 servers connected to the 4500's backing up to a RedHat Linux backup server connected to the Nexus 7000's. The traffic is routed from 4500 --> Nexus 7000 --> 6500 --> Nexus 7000... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crusoe
3 Replies
ntp-wait(1)							   User Commands						       ntp-wait(1)

NAME
ntp-wait - Wait for ntpd to stabilize the system clock SYNOPSIS
ntp-wait [-flags] [-flag [value]] [--option-name[[=| ]value]] All arguments must be options. DESCRIPTION
ntp-wait will send at most num-tries queries to ntpd(8), sleeping for secs-between-tries after each status return that says ntpd(8) has not yet produced a synchronized and stable system clock. ntp-wait will do this quietly, unless the -v flag is provided. This can be useful at boot time, to delay the boot sequence until after ntpd -g has set the time. OPTIONS
-n number, --tries=number Number of times to check ntpd. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default number for this option is: 100 The maximum number of times we will check ntpd to see if it has been able to synchronize and stabilize the system clock. -s secs-between-tries, --sleep=secs-between-tries How long to sleep between tries. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default secs-between-tries for this option is: 6 We will sleep for secs-between-tries after each query of ntpd that returns "the time is not yet stable". -v, --verbose Be verbose. By default, ntp-wait is silent. With this option, ntp-wait will provide status information. -?, --help Display usage information and exit. -!, --more-help Pass the extended usage information through a pager. -v [{v|c|n --version [{v|c|n}]}] Output version of program and exit. The default mode is `v', a simple version. The `c' mode will print copyright information and `n' will print the full copyright notice. EXIT STATUS
One of the following exit values will be returned: 0 (EXIT_SUCCESS) Successful program execution. 1 (EXIT_FAILURE) The operation failed or the command syntax was not valid. 70 (EX_SOFTWARE) libopts had an internal operational error. Please report it to autogen-users@lists.sourceforge.net. Thank you. AUTHORS
Harlan Stenn NOTES
This document corresponds to version 4.2.8p13 of NTP. This manual page was AutoGen-erated from the ntp-wait option definitions. ntp (4.2.8p13) 20 Feb 2019 ntp-wait(1)