Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: serial console hangs
Operating Systems HP-UX serial console hangs Post 302109181 by trajek on Sunday 4th of March 2007 01:48:43 PM
Old 03-04-2007
Error serial console hangs

I have a HP Visualize C200 running hpux that I am trying to boot into using a null modem through com1 from my Sun Ultra 10. I get all the way to the login prompt and then it becomes innactive and wont let me access the machine anymore. Any ideas?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Installing via serial console

I'm stuck - when I boot the machine and hit 5 on the keyboard, all I get is an SP login. Can someone give me some tips on how to get to the install via the serial port? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
2 Replies

2. Solaris

start /SP/console hangs in X4500

when I type start /SP/console... the console shows up but i cannot type anything over there. I do not understand what might be the reason for that. -> start /SP/console Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y Serial console started. To stop, type ESC ( I pressed enter many... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
8 Replies

3. Solaris

script hangs when outputing to /dev/console

I am running solaris 8 on a sparcs box. The system is connected to a lightwave console server. I have a script that hangs when sending output to '/dev/console'. Any ideas? -V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced. Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joecassara
3 Replies

5. AIX

SSH login hangs, serial console works

Server, running AIX 6.1 developed strange problem when logging in via SSH -- ssh client hangs without any error. It is possible to run commands on server, using ssh ("ssh servername ls -l" is OK) It is possible to log in normally, using serial console connected to server. It was possible to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivar.zarans
2 Replies

6. Solaris

PPPD on ttya with serial console...?

Hi. I am very very new to Solaris. I found an abandoned Sun Blade 150. I created a 3-wire null modem cable, connected it to an abandoned laptop and successfully installed Solaris 10 using the serial port. This laptop doesn't have ethernet. So I want to establish a PPP connection. Part of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Console Vs Serial console.

Hi Gurus, Can some one explain me the difference between a IP console and a serial console. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

$ Prompt on Serial console is not responding.

Hi Experts. i have been stuck up with an issue. i have connected my Solaris 8 , Sun fire V445 on serial port by using Teraterm. Initially i was able to login and executed some tasks. After executing some commands (mainly Control +c), i am not able to type any key or not able to do anything at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
2 Replies
CON(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CON(1)

NAME
con, telnet, cu, rx, xms, xmr - remote login, execution, and XMODEM file transfer SYNOPSIS
con [ -dCrvs ] [ -l [ remuser ] ] [ -c cmd ] [net!]machine telnet [ -dCrn ] [net!]machine cu number rx [ -n ] [net!]machine [ command-word ... ] xms file xmr file DESCRIPTION
Con connects to the computer whose network address is net!machine and logs in if possible. With no options, the account name used on the remote system is the same as that on the local system. Standard input and output go to the local machine. Options are: -l with an argument causes remuser to be used as the account name on the remote system. Without an argument this option disables auto- matic login and a normal login session ensues. -C forces cooked mode, that is, local echo. -c runs cmd as if it had been typed as a command from the escape mode. This is used by cu. -v (verbose mode) causes information about connection attempts to be output to standard error. This can be useful when trying to debug network connectivity. -d causes debugging information to be output to standard error. -r suppresses printing of any carriage return followed by a new line. This is useful since carriage return is a printable character in Plan 9. -s strips received characters to 7 bits to forestall misinterpretation of ASCII with parity as UTF. The control- character is a local escape. It prompts with the local machine name and >>>. Legitimate responses to the prompt are i Send a quit [sic] signal to the remote machine. q Exit. b Send a break. . Return from the escape. !cmd Run the command with the network connection as its standard input and standard output. Standard error will go to the screen. This is useful for transmitting and receiving files over the connections using programs such as xms. Telnet is similar to con, but uses the telnet protocol to communicate with the remote machine. If standard input is a file or a pipe, the -n option causes telnet not to hang up the connection when it receives EOF on its standard input; instead it waits for the remote end to hang up. It shares con's -C, -d, and -r options. Cu is a shell script that uses telco(4) and con to connect to a machine via a modem. If the machine is equipped with a local modem, it is used. Otherwise, the call is placed through Datakit. Rx executes one shell command on the remote machine as if logged in there, but with local standard input and output. A rudimentary shell environment is provided. If the target is a Plan 9 machine, $service there will be rx. Network addresses for both con and rx have the form network!machine. Supported networks are those listed in /net. The commands xms and xmr respectively send and receive a single file using the XMODEM protocol. They use standard input and standard out- put for communication and are intended for use with con. EXAMPLES
rx kremvax cat file1 >file2 Copy remote file1 to local file2. rx kremvax cat file1 '>file2' Copy remote file1 to remote file2. eqn paper | rx kremvax troff -ms | rx deepthought lp Parallel processing: do each stage of a pipeline on a different machine. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/con for con, xms, and xmr. /sys/src/cmd/ip for telnet. /rc/bin/cu BUGS
Under rx, a program that should behave specially towards terminals may not: e.g., remote shells will not prompt. Also under rx, the remote standard error and standard output are combined and go inseparably to the local standard output. CON(1)