Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Open source mathematical software for scientists & engineers Post 302109128 by Aaron Van on Saturday 3rd of March 2007 02:25:00 PM
Old 03-03-2007
No, it doesn't have to be open source but philosophically, that's where I'm coming from. I'm interesting in learning ODE/PDE and eventually teach myself some CFD tecnhiques.

I just downloaded Fermat on my Mac (my FreeBSD machine is acting funny) and it looks pretty good. It would have been useful when I was an operations research analyst. Thanks!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help needed to test CorneliOS open source software on different platforms

Hello everyone, I' m currently working on an open source project and I'm looking for people willing to test the software on various platforms so that we'll be able to publish a compatibility list. The project is called CorneliOS, it's a webOS and web application framework, and it has been... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joskirps
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Open Source Cloud Software

Hi all, I'm prepared exploring cloud technology to play on both private and public clouds. Please advise which of the following Open Source Cloud software, other than Ubuntu One, will be more powerful on features:- Abiquo http://www.abiquo.com/ Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
2 Replies

4. Linux

X Windowing Free Open Source Software at Windows Desktop

I am using a ssh session for my org Linux box to do all my installation work. Recently I installed a X Serve app but could not start its execution cause neither I am sure if X Server is running or not nor of how the app output (X windowing app) would be rendered on a Windows desktop from where I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

TensorFlow: Open Source Software Library for Machine Intelligence

Hi. Is anyone using TensorFlow ? oZikw5k_2FM Please let us know if you are using or planning to use TensorFlow. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
PCAP_GET_SELECTABLE_FD(3PCAP)											     PCAP_GET_SELECTABLE_FD(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_get_selectable_fd - get a file descriptor on which a select() can be done for a live capture SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> int pcap_get_selectable_fd(pcap_t *p); DESCRIPTION
pcap_get_selectable_fd() returns, on UNIX, a file descriptor number for a file descriptor on which one can do a select() or poll() to wait for it to be possible to read packets without blocking, if such a descriptor exists, or -1, if no such descriptor exists. Some network devices opened with pcap_create() and pcap_activate(), or with pcap_open_live(), do not support select() or poll() (for example, regular network devices on FreeBSD 4.3 and 4.4, and Endace DAG devices), so -1 is returned for those devices. Note that in: FreeBSD prior to FreeBSD 4.6; NetBSD prior to NetBSD 3.0; OpenBSD prior to OpenBSD 2.4; Mac OS X prior to Mac OS X 10.7; select() and poll() do not work correctly on BPF devices; pcap_get_selectable_fd() will return a file descriptor on most of those versions (the exceptions being FreeBSD 4.3 and 4.4), but a simple select() or poll() will not indicate that the descriptor is readable until a full buffer's worth of packets is received, even if the read timeout expires before then. To work around this, an application that uses select() or poll() to wait for packets to arrive must put the pcap_t in non-blocking mode, and must arrange that the select() or poll() have a timeout less than or equal to the read timeout, and must try to read packets after that timeout expires, regardless of whether select() or poll() indicated that the file descriptor for the pcap_t is ready to be read or not. (That workaround will not work in FreeBSD 4.3 and later; however, in FreeBSD 4.6 and later, select() and poll() work correctly on BPF devices, so the workaround isn't necessary, although it does no harm.) Note also that poll() doesn't work on character special files, including BPF devices, in Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5, so, while select() can be used on the descriptor returned by pcap_get_selectable_fd(), poll() cannot be used on it those versions of Mac OS X. Kqueues also don't work on that descriptor. poll(), but not kqueues, work on that descriptor in Mac OS X releases prior to 10.4; poll() and kqueues work on that descriptor in Mac OS X 10.6 and later. pcap_get_selectable_fd() is not available on Windows. RETURN VALUE
A selectable file descriptor is returned if one exists; otherwise, -1 is returned. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), select(2), poll(2) 5 April 2008 PCAP_GET_SELECTABLE_FD(3PCAP)