Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting filename extension check - regular expression Post 302108937 by dennis.jacob on Thursday 1st of March 2007 11:01:30 PM
Old 03-02-2007
the below command will chop the extension of a given file and convert it into lowercase.You can put this in a test statement to compare the ext.

echo "${filename##*.}" | tr 'A-Z' 'a-z'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

separating filename and extension

Hi (warning: newbie question), I am writing a script to run a series of tests on a program, which involves a line: for file in `ls test_suite/*.args` but later I want to send the output to file.out. But I need to separate the filename and extension somehow...Also $file contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucaspewkas
2 Replies

3. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut filename extension

I need a small script (sh) to remove in a variable the filename extension. Example: f = "testfile.txt" and I need a $a with "testfile". Some one a idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Essbaumer
4 Replies

5. Programming

Perl regular expression to check string ending

Hi, I am trying to write a regular expression in perl to check if the string end's with "numbers-numbers" or "-numbers". I experimented something like m/\d*-\d*$/ , but this is not solving my problem. Can anyone help me in writing this expression? Well spelled titles and proper use of code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the filename extension

Is there an easy way to strip off a filename's extension? For example, here's a filename: blahblahblah.thisisok.thisisnotok I want to get rid of .thisisnotok from the filename, so that what's left is blahblahblah.thisisok Thanks. I have a directory full of filenames that need to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a filename its extension

Heyas As i often have decide things upon a filename its extension, i thought i'd write a script: Just wondering if there would be a more efficent way? out="" FN=$( echo "$1" | sed s," ","",g) # Remove any spaces and make it a single string for chance in $(echo "$FN"|sed s,"\."," ",g) # Use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies
CHOPTEST(8C)															      CHOPTEST(8C)

NAME
choptest - HylaFAX page chopping test program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/choptest [ options ] input.tif DESCRIPTION
choptest is a program for testing the page chopping support in the HylaFAX software (specifically, in the faxq(8C) program). choptest ana- lyzes a TIFF/F (TIFF Class F) file with 1-D MH- or 2-D MR-encoded data and reports what the automatic page chopping logic would do if the file were submitted for transmission. Options are provided for controlling whether choptest checks the last page or all pages of the docu- ment, and what whitespace threshold to use in deciding if a page should be chopped. OPTIONS
-a Chop all pages in the document. This is equivalent to setting the PageChop configuration parameter to ``all''; c.f. hylafax- config(5F). By default only the last page of the document is considered. -t inches Set the minimum whitespace threshold that must be present on a page for it to be chopped. This is equivalent to the Page- ChopThreshold configuration parameter; c.f. hylafax-config(5F). By default choptest requires that at least 3 inches of trailing whitespace be present. EXAMPLES
The following shows a multi-page, high-resolution document. Each page has insufficient whitespace for it to be chopped. hyla% ./choptest -a ~/tiff/pics/faxix.tif Chop pages with >=3" of white space at the bottom. Don't chop, found 67 rows, need 588 rows Don't chop, found 67 rows, need 588 rows Don't chop, found 67 rows, need 588 rows Don't chop, found 53 rows, need 588 rows Don't chop, found 91 rows, need 588 rows Don't chop, found 99 rows, need 588 rows Don't chop, found 47 rows, need 588 rows SEE ALSO
faxq(8C), hylafax-config(5F) October 3, 1995 CHOPTEST(8C)