Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change Computer Name
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Change Computer Name Post 302108930 by CBarraford on Thursday 1st of March 2007 10:49:12 PM
Old 03-01-2007
Change Computer Name

I am trying to change my computer name (located in system prefs-> sharing) using unix

i've tried

Code:
Macbook-Pro:~ user$ hostname
Macbook-Pro.local
Macbook-Pro:~ user$ sudo hostname hello
Password:
Macbook-Pro:~ user$ hostname
hello

It seems to work, but my computer is still called "Macbook-Pro" in system prefs->sharing, even after reboot. When I reboot and run "hostname" i get Macbook-Pro.local again.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

I cant network my computer

I have an Octane2 running IRIX 6.4 . The problem is that the machine is not coming on the network . I have put in all the details perfectly , like IP , netmask , name servers , gateway IP , I tried it on a Mac alongside me but On the IRIX it dosent work . I have no idea wats the prob lem .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jai
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

how do you get 2 windows off your computer

i have windows 2000 professional and windows 98 on my computer but i onle want 1:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary_king
3 Replies

3. Programming

getting computer name

Hi all! Is there any function to get the name from a computer by the IP adresse? Thank you in advance! Greetings Mario (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coredump2003
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another customisation for my computer

Hey, this time, I want my rhythmbox to play a different playlist at a set time (about sleeping time). my shellcode works, since if i run it it works, but when i make crontab run it, nothing happens. I try appending commands to the code, such as cp a file, and that occurs, so I have no idea what is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidY
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who - PC Computer name

Does anyone know of a way of identifying the PC / client name rather than IP address via who or some other AIX command (5.3). (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

What was your first computer?

Hey, the What Do You Do for a Living thread got me thinking about this. My first "computer" was a Timex Sinclair that I built from a kit. I also spent many hours painstakingly programming a Commodore Vic20 to display graphics and sound (and save them on that slooooow tape drive). My first "real"... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: dday
26 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

9. SCO

How to change raid controller driver ? (hardware change)

Hello I'm trying to virtualize an instance of Sco Unix 5.0.5 in VirtualBox (called VM-A) , but sco I have problems set to launch with the new raid controller . The physical machine has a raid controller adaptec (alad driver) but VirtualBox uses buslogic (blc driver) What ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
3 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

How to become more confortable on my computer?

Hi all, Lately I have being practicing several ways to improve on the amount of time i spend reading and coding on my computer. I realized that it can be very tiring and hard work. The had work needed and time is not the main issue here. The issue is do i start of by spending at least one -- two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: despiragado
3 Replies