Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help on a basic example
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help on a basic example Post 302108872 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Thursday 1st of March 2007 11:21:59 AM
Old 03-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfhgfnhhn
hi,
in a text file i have listed some file names,
it look like this

AAAA1
AAAA2
AAAA3
BBBBB1
AAAA4
BBBBB2
BBBBB3
AAAA5
AAAA6
BBBBB4

i want to make some operations on the files with name AAAAAx
which is listed just before files with name BBBBBx

that is: i want to select AAAA3, AAAA4, AAAA6 from the above list do some operations on them,

how can i achive this using shell script?
(preferably without using awk)
try this:
Code:
sed -n "/^A/p" source_file >filename
for var in `cat filename`; do
# Do what ever
done

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic

hi, I am pretty new both to unix and this forum, can anyone help me to give shortcuts to my commands... eg:- instead of "cd /usr/bin" i want to to give " bin " and get to that path. I'm using HP-UX 11.0 abey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Basic...

hi, I am pretty new both to unix and this forum, can anyone help me to give shortcuts to my commands... eg:- instead of "cd /usr/bin" i want to to give " bin " and get to that path. I'm using HP-UX 11.0 abey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abey
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Bt-basic

Hi Guys, I very new to bt-basic even I got 8 years experience on UNIX. I searched through google about bt-basic but nothing really give me solid documentation. Anybody have documentation or manual for this bt-basic? Pls help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahru
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some basic help

Hi everyone, I need some help! I know that this is a very simple little problem but I seem to be stuck. I was just wondering if you could show me the right way. I basicly have to write a single line of commands (using piping) to do the following: From the file data.txt, select all of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itk
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

to know the basic

Hi, Good morning I want to install HP-Unix in my PC. I already have windows XP home edition in my PC. I do not want remove XP,But I need HP-Unix in the same system. Is it posssible? If it is what is the name and version of HP-Unix cd? Where can I get the CD to install. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandhini
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Basic - how do I?

How do I use ls and grep together to count a certain number of files in a directory? -Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: secno
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic help

Hi , I need to know the difference between $((command)) and $(command) and $(($(command))). "" and '' and ``. I have tried searching the help files but cant able to find this. Could you let me knoq about any document. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
4 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Vs basic

There isn't much of a relation between 80's BASIC and today's BASIC. A lot of languages seem similar. The BASIC I worked with was Dartmouth or VSBASIC. Now existing as ATARI BASIC. PERL and JULIA look appealing, it would be nice if there where a program like VSBASIC. 80's... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: teak
7 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)