Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to identify User Machine name? Post 302108656 by Yogesh Sawant on Wednesday 28th of February 2007 02:54:15 AM
Old 02-28-2007
check the w command. it will tell you from which IP address users have logged in

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Script of a different user on Same Machine

Hi, I want to execute a script - of different user from my script. I have tried the su command su - username -c "scriptname" it works but asked for password. Is there any way for supplying the password to it thru script, not interactively. Or is there any other way to achieve the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identify a remote machine as windows or unix

Hi, I have a IP address of the target machine.Is there is any way to find out whether it is a unix box or windows box without logging into it?. Regs Anand (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: u449064
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify specific processes from different Machine

Hi, i;m getting a hard time on how to have this kind of script. 1. ssh on another machine and check if a specific process is running and notify in there is a problem. SOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp from user A in machine 1 to user B in machine 2

Hi all, would like to find out how can i scp a file from user A in one host to user B in another host? i know how to get it done if its from user A in machine 1 to user A in machine 2. 1)on machine 1, generate a key pair. put the private key in the .ssh directory. 2)put the public key in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify root like user.

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is any way , in which a user could be identified. I need to diffrenciate between a root user and a root like user. Thanks! nua7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User perl to get memory installed in a machine

I currently have a statistics gathering script i run on my Linux servers. One of the stat i gather is total memory in the machine. The script is all perl with the exception of gathering the memory for that i use the following command: $ram = (`cat /proc/meminfo | grep "MemTotal" | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky little problem, send signal to other machine without user

Hi everyone! I want to be able to send a signal to another machine on the same network, and have it trigger a script on that machine. Here's the reason why I can't just ssh: I don't have a username on that machine, but there is a user that is always logged on that I can do stuff on. So, I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: declannalced
5 Replies

8. AIX

Identify User Attributes

SOS Guys... Is there any way to determine the user attributes, mainly if that userid is set as never expire? I do not have admin rights, and I'm working on AIX 5.3 I've tried : lsuser -f <username> but no luck on that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
2 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Please help identify these user account

Please help me identify these user accounts.. bin, lp, nuucp, smbnull, mysql, tftp Can we remove these user or disable these users?We have to apply the security policy about the user identification.Since it was settup by our vendor long time ago. We do not have these informations about these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdstkg
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to identify user?

Hi Team I have created some time back a user called "iuser" but I am not able to login with it. I am getting below error. # su - iuser su: user iuser does not exist tried to unlock the user still get same error # pam_tally2 -u iuser -r pam_tally2: pam_get_uid; no such user iuser... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
7 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)