Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to identify User Machine name? Post 302108653 by ganapati on Wednesday 28th of February 2007 02:47:24 AM
Old 02-28-2007
Java How to identify User Machine name?

Hi Experts,

We 4 to 5 people are using same UNIX(Solaris) login for our testing purpose. Also we are doing some modifications to existing scripts.

Is it possible to know the each user machine (IP address or machine name) who are using the same login to modify the scripts. So that we can easily identify who are modified what?

Please help me.

Ganapati.
Mysore.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Script of a different user on Same Machine

Hi, I want to execute a script - of different user from my script. I have tried the su command su - username -c "scriptname" it works but asked for password. Is there any way for supplying the password to it thru script, not interactively. Or is there any other way to achieve the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identify a remote machine as windows or unix

Hi, I have a IP address of the target machine.Is there is any way to find out whether it is a unix box or windows box without logging into it?. Regs Anand (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: u449064
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify specific processes from different Machine

Hi, i;m getting a hard time on how to have this kind of script. 1. ssh on another machine and check if a specific process is running and notify in there is a problem. SOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp from user A in machine 1 to user B in machine 2

Hi all, would like to find out how can i scp a file from user A in one host to user B in another host? i know how to get it done if its from user A in machine 1 to user A in machine 2. 1)on machine 1, generate a key pair. put the private key in the .ssh directory. 2)put the public key in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify root like user.

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is any way , in which a user could be identified. I need to diffrenciate between a root user and a root like user. Thanks! nua7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User perl to get memory installed in a machine

I currently have a statistics gathering script i run on my Linux servers. One of the stat i gather is total memory in the machine. The script is all perl with the exception of gathering the memory for that i use the following command: $ram = (`cat /proc/meminfo | grep "MemTotal" | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky little problem, send signal to other machine without user

Hi everyone! I want to be able to send a signal to another machine on the same network, and have it trigger a script on that machine. Here's the reason why I can't just ssh: I don't have a username on that machine, but there is a user that is always logged on that I can do stuff on. So, I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: declannalced
5 Replies

8. AIX

Identify User Attributes

SOS Guys... Is there any way to determine the user attributes, mainly if that userid is set as never expire? I do not have admin rights, and I'm working on AIX 5.3 I've tried : lsuser -f <username> but no luck on that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
2 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Please help identify these user account

Please help me identify these user accounts.. bin, lp, nuucp, smbnull, mysql, tftp Can we remove these user or disable these users?We have to apply the security policy about the user identification.Since it was settup by our vendor long time ago. We do not have these informations about these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdstkg
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to identify user?

Hi Team I have created some time back a user called "iuser" but I am not able to login with it. I am getting below error. # su - iuser su: user iuser does not exist tried to unlock the user still get same error # pam_tally2 -u iuser -r pam_tally2: pam_get_uid; no such user iuser... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
7 Replies
NETRC(5)                                                      BSD File Formats Manual                                                     NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)