Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: size of directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting size of directory Post 302108573 by Perderabo on Tuesday 27th of February 2007 12:04:54 PM
Old 02-27-2007
You folks may not be on the same page here....

A directory entry is a name and an inode number. A directory is a file that contains a collection of these entries. If I create a new directory, it will be rather small. If I cd into it and create 5 100GB files, my directory continues to be small... after all it only has 7 entries at this point.

Please clarify if you are discussing the size of a directory or the collective total of disk space used by a directory and all files and subdirectories contained within it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size of a directory

Hi, It would be of great help if anyone can tell me what is the command for getting the size of a directory. Thx a lot in advance Minaz (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: minazk
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

size of a directory?

hi, say i have the following directory structure a/b/c/d... can i do df -kt /a/b/c/d and the output will gives me the total space of the directory space in d? or the output will just be the total space of the parent directory a. hope its clear.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

3. Programming

size of a directory

hai friends I need a program to find the size of a directory.. When i tried to get the size, it always gives the default space allocated for it. How can i findout the exact size of a directory using a c program Thanks in advance Collins (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
6 Replies

4. AIX

size of directory with ls -l

hello When i do a "ls -l" in a directory (Aix 5.3), i have the result : >ls -l total 65635864 -rw-r--r-- 1 lobi system 2559909888 Feb 20 15:06 cible5.7bdat -rw-r--r-- 1 lobi system 1020098870 Feb 20 13:06 cible6.7bdat -rw-r--r-- 1 lobi system 1544789511 Feb 20 11:06 cible9.7bdat -rw-r--r--... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory size with ls -l

am I right in assuming that in unix a directory size is just information about that directory stored somewhere on the file system, and not a sum of its contents? This is because ls -l gives 1024 as my directory size, when the directory contains many gigs worth of stuff. also, is du -sk dir ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory tree with directory size

find . -type d -print 2>/dev/null|awk '!/\.$/ {for (i=1;i<NF;i++){d=length($i);if ( d < 5 && i != 1 )d=5;printf("%"d"s","|")}print "---"$NF}' FS='/' Can someone explain how this works..?? How can i add directory size to be listed in the above command's output..?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
1 Replies

8. Solaris

get directory size

Hi, How to get size of particular directory? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cutefriend
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
ubuntu-dev-tools(5)						File Formats Manual					       ubuntu-dev-tools(5)

NAME
ubuntu-dev-tools - Configuration for the ubuntu-dev-tools package. DESCRIPTION
The ubuntu-dev-tools package is similar in scope to the devscripts(1) package, providing a collection of scripts which may be of use to Ubuntu and Debian developers or others wishing to build Debian packages. Some of these scripts have options which may be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. These options are configured in devscripts.conf(5). All variables are described in the script's manpages. Package-wide variables begin with "UBUNTUTOOLS" and are listed below. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using the --no-conf command-line option. ENVIRONMENT
All ubuntu-dev-tools configuration variables can be set (and overridden) by setting them in the environment (unlike devscripts). In addition, several scripts use the following environment variables: UBUMAIL Overrides DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME when the target is clearly Ubuntu. Can either contain an e-mail address or Full Name <email@example.org>. DEBEMAIL, DEBFULLNAME As in devscripts(1). PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: UBUNTUTOOLS_BUILDER This specifies the preferred test-builder, one of pbuilder (default), sbuild, pbuilder-dist. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The preferred Debian archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The preferred Debian security archive mirror. Should be of the form http://security.debian.org (no trailing slash). If not speci- fied, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_PORTS_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ports.ubuntu.com (no trailing slash). If not specified, the mas- ter will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_LPINSTANCE The launchpad instance to communicate with. e.g. production (default) or staging. UBUNTUTOOLS_MIRROR_FALLBACK Whether or not to fall-back to the master archive mirror. This is usually the desired behaviour, as mirrors can lag the masters. If on a private network with only a local mirror, you may want to set this to no. One of yes (default) or no. UBUNTUTOOLS_UPDATE_BUILDER Whether or not to update the test-builder before each test build. One of yes or no (default). UBUNTUTOOLS_WORKDIR The directory to use for preparing source packages etc. When unset, defaults to a directory in /tmp/ named after the script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1), devscripts.conf(5) AUTHORS
This manpage was written by Stefano Rivera <stefanor@ubuntu.com>. ubuntu-dev-tools December 19 2010 ubuntu-dev-tools(5)