Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Save contents of a Variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Save contents of a Variable Post 302108489 by matrixmadhan on Monday 26th of February 2007 11:27:50 PM
Old 02-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_vieyra
I want to save the contents of a variable to a file. How can that be achieved?
I have tried with:

echo $varname > textfile.txt

but for some reason it does not print anything.

Definitely it would print if contents are available, atleast a blank line.

Before that check whether variable holds a value

Code:
>echo $varname

Code:
>a=10
echo $a
>echo $a > dum
>cat dum

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add bin to variable PATH and save changes

i wrote a script and is running. I add the path bin to variable PATH, i.e. PATH=$PATH/bin. i add this to PATH in order to run the script in any path working directory. Thats ok. The problem is as son as i close the session and start a new session, changes are lost. How can i tell the shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to save output of a command in hash variable

Hi all, is it possible to save the output of a unix command executed in perl to be saved in hash variable.. like i have the command `find $mypath ! -user mainuser -printf \"\%u \%h\\n\"`; this will print all the users other than mainuser with their paths. so is possible to capture... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saapa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output in a variable

Hi, I have a 3rd party tool on Solaris 8. I am running it thorugh my script but I am not able to capture its output into a variable. Like, I tried, but did not work. output=`/usr/bin/myTool` echo $output Also, I tried saving in a file but when I run, output is always shown on the... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to save an output of a command in a variable

Hi, in shell script, i have the command swstart -p which returns an output. i want to store the output of this command into a variable. how i can do that excerpt from the script #!/usr/bin/ksh # # # # Program: swstart -p # # Description: Starts the sentinels on Slave server ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solved: how to save an output to a variable

i want to save the output of /scripts/whoowns domain.com to a username like $user = /scripts/whoowns domain.com but I'm not sure how to do that This is inside a bash script how can I get the output of /scripts/whoowns then save that to a variable? thanks! ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to save a data of a file into a variable?

My requirement is to read a column data from a file & save it in a variable for each row & process it. I am using the below code- Leadlines="$TGTFILE/Error.txt">>$log_file while read line do id = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f1 ` email = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f2 ` ----------- done My... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I save the result in a variable

I have friends that this command worked perfectly, but I would like to save the result in a variable, which I have not achieved var=prueba.txt echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 prueba I need to do this but does not work me salida=echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 echo "result:$salida" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save an specific part of a expect_out in a variable

I have a expect file like this #!/opt/tools/unsupported/expect-5.39/bin/expect spawn ssh -l user ip expect_after eof {exit 0} set timeout 10 log_file /report.txt expect "Password:" { send "pasword\r" } expect "$ " { send "date\r" } expect "$ " { send "readlink /somelink\r" } set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebehnaz
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Save line from text in variable

Hi, I wrote a csh script where I want to save in a loop each time a different line from a text file (att_file) in the $name variable. But it seems not to work. att_file looks like: 123123123 345345345 345345345 set name = `head -n $count $att_file | tail -n 1 | awk '{print $1}'` Do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MLImag
3 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)