Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Save contents of a Variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Save contents of a Variable Post 302108480 by carl_vieyra on Monday 26th of February 2007 10:49:35 PM
Old 02-26-2007
Error Save contents of a Variable

I want to save the contents of a variable to a file. How can that be achieved?
I have tried with:

echo $varname > textfile.txt

but for some reason it does not print anything.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add bin to variable PATH and save changes

i wrote a script and is running. I add the path bin to variable PATH, i.e. PATH=$PATH/bin. i add this to PATH in order to run the script in any path working directory. Thats ok. The problem is as son as i close the session and start a new session, changes are lost. How can i tell the shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to save output of a command in hash variable

Hi all, is it possible to save the output of a unix command executed in perl to be saved in hash variable.. like i have the command `find $mypath ! -user mainuser -printf \"\%u \%h\\n\"`; this will print all the users other than mainuser with their paths. so is possible to capture... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saapa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output in a variable

Hi, I have a 3rd party tool on Solaris 8. I am running it thorugh my script but I am not able to capture its output into a variable. Like, I tried, but did not work. output=`/usr/bin/myTool` echo $output Also, I tried saving in a file but when I run, output is always shown on the... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to save an output of a command in a variable

Hi, in shell script, i have the command swstart -p which returns an output. i want to store the output of this command into a variable. how i can do that excerpt from the script #!/usr/bin/ksh # # # # Program: swstart -p # # Description: Starts the sentinels on Slave server ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solved: how to save an output to a variable

i want to save the output of /scripts/whoowns domain.com to a username like $user = /scripts/whoowns domain.com but I'm not sure how to do that This is inside a bash script how can I get the output of /scripts/whoowns then save that to a variable? thanks! ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to save a data of a file into a variable?

My requirement is to read a column data from a file & save it in a variable for each row & process it. I am using the below code- Leadlines="$TGTFILE/Error.txt">>$log_file while read line do id = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f1 ` email = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f2 ` ----------- done My... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I save the result in a variable

I have friends that this command worked perfectly, but I would like to save the result in a variable, which I have not achieved var=prueba.txt echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 prueba I need to do this but does not work me salida=echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 echo "result:$salida" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save an specific part of a expect_out in a variable

I have a expect file like this #!/opt/tools/unsupported/expect-5.39/bin/expect spawn ssh -l user ip expect_after eof {exit 0} set timeout 10 log_file /report.txt expect "Password:" { send "pasword\r" } expect "$ " { send "date\r" } expect "$ " { send "readlink /somelink\r" } set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebehnaz
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Save line from text in variable

Hi, I wrote a csh script where I want to save in a loop each time a different line from a text file (att_file) in the $name variable. But it seems not to work. att_file looks like: 123123123 345345345 345345345 set name = `head -n $count $att_file | tail -n 1 | awk '{print $1}'` Do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MLImag
3 Replies
observe(n)																observe(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
observe - Runtime debugging output in TkCon SYNOPSIS
observe command cmdname ?maxlevel? observe cdelete cmdname observe cinfo cmdname observe variable varname operation ?args? observe vdelete varname operation observe vinfo varname _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command provides runtime debugging output for variables and commands without the need to edit your code. For variables, the underly- ing mechanism uses trace and dump var. For commands, it renames the observed procedure and uses a special wrapper procedure. WARNING: using this procedure after checkpointing state will result in major problems if you clean state because the renamed (true) commands will be lost. This procedure is experimental. Comments are encouraged. observe command cmdname ?maxlevel? This will create a wrapper command which prints out (using dump) the call stack to the console. maxlevel represents the maximum number of levels of the call stack which will be printed (defaults to 4). observe cdelete cmdname Removes the wrapper around an observed command. observe cinfo cmdname Prints out useless info. observe variable varname operation ?args? Currently a wrapper around trace that uses dump to print out the value of the named variable whenever the specified operation on that variable occurs (must be read, write or unset). observe vdelete varname operation Deletes the trace wrapper around the named variable. observe vinfo varname Prints out trace info about the named variable. SEE ALSO
dump(n), idebug(n), tkcon(1), tkcon(n), tkconrc(5) KEYWORDS
Tk, console, debug COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) Jeffrey Hobbs <jeff at hobbs.org> TkCon 2.5 observe(n)