Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Save contents of a Variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Save contents of a Variable Post 302108480 by carl_vieyra on Monday 26th of February 2007 10:49:35 PM
Old 02-26-2007
Error Save contents of a Variable

I want to save the contents of a variable to a file. How can that be achieved?
I have tried with:

echo $varname > textfile.txt

but for some reason it does not print anything.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add bin to variable PATH and save changes

i wrote a script and is running. I add the path bin to variable PATH, i.e. PATH=$PATH/bin. i add this to PATH in order to run the script in any path working directory. Thats ok. The problem is as son as i close the session and start a new session, changes are lost. How can i tell the shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to save output of a command in hash variable

Hi all, is it possible to save the output of a unix command executed in perl to be saved in hash variable.. like i have the command `find $mypath ! -user mainuser -printf \"\%u \%h\\n\"`; this will print all the users other than mainuser with their paths. so is possible to capture... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saapa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output in a variable

Hi, I have a 3rd party tool on Solaris 8. I am running it thorugh my script but I am not able to capture its output into a variable. Like, I tried, but did not work. output=`/usr/bin/myTool` echo $output Also, I tried saving in a file but when I run, output is always shown on the... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to save an output of a command in a variable

Hi, in shell script, i have the command swstart -p which returns an output. i want to store the output of this command into a variable. how i can do that excerpt from the script #!/usr/bin/ksh # # # # Program: swstart -p # # Description: Starts the sentinels on Slave server ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solved: how to save an output to a variable

i want to save the output of /scripts/whoowns domain.com to a username like $user = /scripts/whoowns domain.com but I'm not sure how to do that This is inside a bash script how can I get the output of /scripts/whoowns then save that to a variable? thanks! ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to save a data of a file into a variable?

My requirement is to read a column data from a file & save it in a variable for each row & process it. I am using the below code- Leadlines="$TGTFILE/Error.txt">>$log_file while read line do id = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f1 ` email = ` echo $line | cut -d "," -f2 ` ----------- done My... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I save the result in a variable

I have friends that this command worked perfectly, but I would like to save the result in a variable, which I have not achieved var=prueba.txt echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 prueba I need to do this but does not work me salida=echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 echo "result:$salida" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save an specific part of a expect_out in a variable

I have a expect file like this #!/opt/tools/unsupported/expect-5.39/bin/expect spawn ssh -l user ip expect_after eof {exit 0} set timeout 10 log_file /report.txt expect "Password:" { send "pasword\r" } expect "$ " { send "date\r" } expect "$ " { send "readlink /somelink\r" } set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebehnaz
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Save line from text in variable

Hi, I wrote a csh script where I want to save in a loop each time a different line from a text file (att_file) in the $name variable. But it seems not to work. att_file looks like: 123123123 345345345 345345345 set name = `head -n $count $att_file | tail -n 1 | awk '{print $1}'` Do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MLImag
3 Replies
global(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 global(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
global - Access global variables SYNOPSIS
global varname ?varname ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command has no effect unless executed in the context of a proc body. If the global command is executed in the context of a proc body, it creates local variables linked to the corresponding global variables (though these linked variables, like those created by upvar, are not included in the list returned by info locals). If varname contains namespace qualifiers, the local variable's name is the unqualified name of the global variable, as determined by the namespace tail command. varname is always treated as the name of a variable, not an array element. An error is returned if the name looks like an array element, such as a(b). EXAMPLES
This procedure sets the namespace variable ::a::x proc reset {} { global a::x set x 0 } This procedure accumulates the strings passed to it in a global buffer, separated by newlines. It is useful for situations when you want to build a message piece-by-piece (as if with puts) but send that full message in a single piece (e.g. over a connection opened with socket or as part of a counted HTTP response). proc accum {string} { global accumulator append accumulator $string } SEE ALSO
namespace(n), upvar(n), variable(n) KEYWORDS
global, namespace, procedure, variable Tcl global(n)