Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /etc/path_to_inst
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory /etc/path_to_inst Post 302108434 by ailnilanjan on Monday 26th of February 2007 01:08:23 PM
Old 02-26-2007
Quote:
To recover you will need to boot off of a CD-Rom or the network, then mount your root partition by hand to copy /etc/path_to_inst back on there
Quote:
If you end up having to try that make sure at least you use another V490, hopefully one with exactly the same hardware inside it.
Thanks Ralph

It works as i have the V490 with the same hardware, you may say it a xerox copy. It worked when i was setting up the root device.

The system is now fine.

I can give the entire procedure by recalling the entire activites what i performed during recovery.

Code:
1- # boot cdrom -s (inserting the Solaris OS CD in the cdrom).
2- #fsck -y /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 
3- #mkdir /a
4- #mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a
5- #grep rootdev /a/etc/system

The result will be something like this :
*       rootdev:        Set the root device.  This should be a fully
*               rootdev:/sbus@1,f8000000/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0:a
rootdev:/pseudo/md@0:0,0,blk       (for example)
The line that needs to be noted is the line beginning with rootdev. In the above example, the line "rootdev:/pseudo/md@0:0,0,blk" should 
be the line noted.

6- #mv /a/etc/path_to_inst /a/etc/orig.path_to_inst
7- #init 0
8- ok>boot -ar
Resetting... 
Software Power ON
Clock board TOD does not match TOD on any IO board.
Clock board TOD does not match TOD on any IO board.

slot Sun Enterprise 4000/5000, No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.2.27, 320 MB memory installed, Serial #7923805.
Copyright 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved
Ethernet address 8:0:20:78:e8:5d, Host ID: 8078e85d.

Rebooting with command: boot -ar
Boot device: /sbus@3,0/QLGC,isp@0,10000/sd@8,0:a  File and args: -ar
|
NOTICE: 64-bit OS installed, but the 32-bit OS is the default
 for the processor(s) on this system.
 See boot(1M) for more information.

Booting the 32-bit OS ...

9- Enter filename [kernel/unix]: (press enter)
Enter default directory for modules [/platform/SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise/kernel /platform/sun4u/kernel /kernel /usr/kernel]: 

10- Name of system file [etc/system]: (press enter)  
SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_117350-02 32-bit
Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
/
11- The /etc/path_to_inst on your system does not exist or is empty.
 Do you want to rebuild this file [n]? y
root filesystem type [ufs]: 

12- Enter physical name of root device
[/sbus@3,0/QLGC,isp@0,10000/sd@8,0:a]: <ENTER ROOTDEV noted  ABOVE in BOLD HERE >

13- After the system boots check for the presence of the file
cd /etc/
ls -l

Love
Nil

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

cannot open /etc/path_to_inst file

In trouble... booted system and error on prom is "cannot open /etc/path_to_inst file" Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

path_to_inst output for usb storage device

Hello, I have a sun blade 100 with solaris 10 and am perplexed by the instances of devices that I see when I attach a usb flash stick to one of the ports in the back of the chassis. Here is what I see for USB storage in /etc/path_to_inst: "/pci@1f,0/usb@c,3/storage@3" 0 "scsa2usb"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: montana77
0 Replies

3. Solaris

path_to_inst file question

When path_to_inst file get created? Can we manually edit it? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Incorrect fabric WWN and path_to_inst Solaris 9

Hi, Over a period of time we gradually migrated all LUN's from our HP EVA array over to our EMC array. From the server it would appear some files require a tidy up and was wondering what the impact it would have if changes were to be made to the fabric_WWN_map and path_to_inst files and if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
0 Replies
device_remap(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  device_remap(1M)

NAME
device_remap - administer the Solaris I/O remapping feature SYNOPSIS
/usr/platform/sun4v/sbin/device_remap [-v | -R dir] DESCRIPTION
Certain multi-node sun4v platforms, such as T5440 and T5240 servers, have an integrated PCI topology that cause the I/O device paths to change in a CPU node failover condition. The device remapping script, device_remap, remaps the device paths in /etc/path_to_inst file and the symlinks under /dev to match the hardware. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -v Displays the /etc/path_to_inst and /dev symlink changes. -R dir Perform remapping on the /etc/path_to_inst and /etc/path_to_inst files in the root image at dir. USAGE
The primary function of device_remap is to remap the device paths in the /etc/path_to_inst file and the symlinks under /dev in a CPU node failover condition to match the hardware. After adding CPU node(s) or removing CPU node(s), boot the system to the OBP prompt and use the following procedure: 1. Boot either the failsafe miniroot using: boot -F failsafe , or an install miniroot using boot net -s or similar command. 2. Mount the root disk as /mnt. 3. Change directory to the mounted root disk: # cd /mnt 4. Run device_remap script: # /mnt/usr/platform/sun4v/sbin/device_remap 5. Boot the system from disk. All the error messages are self-explanatory, except for the error message "missing ioaliases node" which means the firmware on the system does not support device remapping. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Displaying Changes Following Failover The following command displays the path_to_inst and /dev changes following a CPU node failover. # device_remap -v Example 2 Changing Directory Prior to Any Changes The following command changes the directory on which the boot image is mounted prior to making any changes. # device_remap -R /newroot ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWkvm.v | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boot(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 24 Dec 2008 device_remap(1M)