Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search term and output term in desired field Post 302108269 by Raynon on Sunday 25th of February 2007 07:26:55 PM
Old 02-25-2007
Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All,

I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ?

Input_file:
aaa bbb ccc
ddd eee fff
hhhh pppp kkk jjjj
vvvv mm sss zzz

Output:
fff

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X-Term for Windows

Hi Everyone, I need some information from all of you guys. I generally work on a Solaris OS in my school and I had heard that I can download something called X-Term on a Windows system and still work on some of the graphical things on windows which generally work only on unix. This is what I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelamarthi
5 Replies

2. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with TERM script

I am trying to amend an existing TERM script to prompt the end user for a password - then take that password and add it to a specific part of an existing file. Here is what I have - BUT - I am confusing Unix with Term and my script does not like what I added b/c the script simply runs through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Surdeymon
1 Replies

4. Programming

How to stop other processes and kernel from printing output on current virtual term

Hello All, Background ======== I am creating a virtual appliance console for a software stack on VMware ESXi. I am using Centos 5.x as the Linux distro (Guest OS). I have created a ncurses based application that does the user authentication and present him with some basic controls to do basic... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ku@ntum
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term highlighting using "less"

I'm using less to find terms in a 6 gb text file in OS X in the terminal. When I first search for the patter, it finds it, scrolls the document to the correct location, and highlights it. But when I search again, the document scrolls to a new further location (I'm assuming it's found the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethson
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

killproc -term

Hi, I am trying the function killproc -term and it seems to be doing something extra that kill <pid> doesn't do. My daemon cleanly terminates using kill, but not using killproc. I tried strace on killproc and then killproc works well. I read online that strace ignores SIGSTOP. does that mean... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fosfat
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

qvt term with windows xp

I.m using qvt term to convert my windows xp laptop to work with sun ultra 5 unix system but i can't connect - my settings are off and i can't figure it out - i have a feeling it is my serial port # the porgramm is asking for. Can someone tell me where i can find this number. thanks Christine (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucenta tire
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a column using search term

I am trying to select a column using a search term. My input file looks like this (tab delimited): ABC BJS FDG GHH DGH DFG GHF 95 456 5 266 87 4567 67 3 54 678 4567 45 6 36 232 55 3 5 6 8 34 cat filename | awk '{print $2}'above code will give me the second column. However, what I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SangLad
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term in nth field and replace kth column

Hi, I have a text file which looks like this a.txt A,12,Apple,Red B,33,Banana,Yellow C,66,Sky,Blue I need to search for a particular field(s) in particular column(s) and for that matching line need to replace the nth column. Sample scenario 1: Search for 66 in second field and Sky in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Error term undefined

i keep getting this error when i ssh using my id - any idea (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tariq_m
2 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)