Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Thoughts/experiences of SAN attaching V880 to EMC SAN Post 302108264 by reborg on Sunday 25th of February 2007 06:24:27 PM
Old 02-25-2007
Irrespective of the storage used it is usually much easier if you use host based mirroring, as this allows you to do backups using the detached mirror of a raid 1, and apply the correct logic for making sure the backup is clean, for example to quiece a database while the mirror is being detached.

RAID5 in hardware would protect you from failure of a disk during the time the mirror is deatached. Personally I find attached fiber storage much easier to work with than SCSI becasue there is no need for example to configure multiple initiators and things like that, also it much easier to configure a multi-pathed configuration.

You could consider doing a mixture of the two, something like 3511 JBODs, with SATA disks and attached them using fiber HBAs, you wouldn't have the RAID 5, but you would have the extra low cost storage. This would also offer you the possibility of moving onto the SAN at a later stage, with much less work.

Last edited by reborg; 02-26-2007 at 10:29 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is SAN

Hello all, I have looked at the entire posting that have SAN in it and I'm still fuzzy on how SAN works. I understand that every disk array can be access from any server that needs it, but is there software that is install or NFS mount type situation. One post stated that if your format command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
7 Replies

2. AIX

San:

hi We have 2 AIX nodes running with HACMP and all of them connected to SAN, Our shared storage is shark; I need to create shared volume group and I need the HACMP take a ware of it. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h2aix
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to configure my SAN with Sun V880 servers to run Oracle 9i

Hi: I am in the process of configuring the SAN for Solaris to host 6 oracle 9i databases. We have 30 -146 GB disks stiped with RAID 10 for SAN. Of which 11 are dedicated for databsaes related things. Then we have 2 v880 Sun Servers with 16 -73 GB disks and 24 GB memory. The questions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oracle_dba
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

SAN basics

Hi I like to learn and practice SAN, iSCSI. Could you sugges the appropriate tutorial and small tasks to practice SAN. Thankyou (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingskar
1 Replies

5. AIX

Configurin EMC SAN disks on AIX

This may sound like an absolute rookie question, and it is. I have been working on Migrating our HP and Solaris servers to the new EMC SAN and know the routines backwards. Now we've suddenly got a new IBM server and I don't even know how to check if it is connected to the switch. Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronellevan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Attaching 1TB external drive to SunFire v880

Hi I have a 1TB external drive that I want to attach to a SunFire v880 server which runs on Solaris 9. After attaching the external drive what commands should I issue so that the drive will be seen by the server? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
7 Replies

7. AIX

IBM SAN TO SAN Mirroring

Has anyone tried SAN to SAN mirroring on IBM DS SAN Storage. DS5020 mentions Enhanced Remote Mirror to multi-LUN applications I wonder if Oracle High availibility can be setup using Remote Mirror option of SAN ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 booting from EMC SAN DISK

Hi All, I have server : Sun-Fire-V490 configured with Solaris 10 zfs .. and I have configured three mirror the third one from EMC storage. root@server # zpool status -v pool: rpool state: ONLINE status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format. The pool can ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: top.level
8 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Faster way: SAN hd to SAN hd copying

hi! i got a rhel 6.3 host that already have an xfs filesystem mounted from a SAN (let's call it SAN-1) whose size is 9TB. i will be receiving another SAN (let's call it SAN-2) storage of 15TB size. this new addition is physically on another SAN storage. SAN-1 is on a Pillar storage while the new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rino19ny
6 Replies
json(n) 							       JSON								   json(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
json - JSON parser SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require json ?1.1? ::json::json2dict txt _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The json package provides a simple Tcl-only library for parsing the JSON http://www.json.org/ data exchange format as specified in RFC 4627 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt. There is some ambiguity in parsing JSON because JSON has type information that is not maintained by the Tcl conversion. The json package returns data as a Tcl dict. Either the dict package or Tcl 8.5 is required for use. COMMANDS
::json::json2dict txt Parse JSON formatted text txt into a Tcl dict and return the value. EXAMPLES
An example of a JSON array converted to Tcl. A JSON array is returned as a single item with multiple elements. [ { "precision": "zip", "Latitude": 37.7668, "Longitude": -122.3959, "Address": "", "City": "SAN FRANCISCO", "State": "CA", "Zip": "94107", "Country": "US" }, { "precision": "zip", "Latitude": 37.371991, "Longitude": -122.026020, "Address": "", "City": "SUNNYVALE", "State": "CA", "Zip": "94085", "Country": "US" } ] => {Country US Latitude 37.7668 precision zip State CA City {SAN FRANCISCO} Address {} Zip 94107 Longitude -122.3959} {Country US Latitude 37.371991 precision zip State CA City SUNNYVALE Address {} Zip 94085 Longitude -122.026020} An example of a JSON object converted to Tcl. A JSON object is returned as a multi-element list (a dict). { "Image": { "Width": 800, "Height": 600, "Title": "View from 15th Floor", "Thumbnail": { "Url": "http://www.example.com/image/481989943", "Height": 125, "Width": "100" }, "IDs": [116, 943, 234, 38793] } } => Image {IDs {116 943 234 38793} Thumbnail {Width 100 Height 125 Url http://www.example.com/image/481989943} Width 800 Height 600 Title {View from 15th Floor}} BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category json of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
data exchange, exchange format, javascript, json CATEGORY
CGI programming COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 ActiveState Software Inc., 2009 Thomas Maeder, Glue Software Engineering AG json 1.1 json(n)