Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search and retrieve previous line in file Post 302108126 by matrixmadhan on Friday 23rd of February 2007 05:59:25 AM
Old 02-23-2007
Will this be ok?

Code:
var=filesysname1
awk -F" " 'BEGIN{group=""; x=0} { if( x == 1 ) { print } if( $0 ~ /^#/) { group = $0; next } if( $0 ~ /'$var'/ ) { x=1; print group; print $0} else { x = 0 } }' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to retrieve a particular line from a file

Hi, I want to retrieve a particular line from a file and print its content to a file. Can you suggest how to do it in UNIX ?. Rgds vinayap (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayap
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text from a file and print text and one previous line too

Hi, Please let me know how to find text and print text and its previous line. Please don't get irritated few days back I asked text and next line. I am using HP-UX 11.11 Thanks for your help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search for string and Print previous two lines and current line

Hello, Can anybody help me to correct my sed syntax to find the string and print previous two lines and current line and next one line. i am using string as "testing" netstat -v | sed -n -e '/test/{x;2!p;g;$!N;p;D;}' -e h i am able to get the previous line current line next line but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmadhuhb
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append specific lines to a previous line based on sequential search criteria

I'll try explain this as best I can. Let me know if it is not clear. I have large text files that contain data as such: 143593502 09-08-20 09:02:13 xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx 09-08-20 09:02:11 N line 1 test line 2 test line 3 test 143593503 09-08-20 09:02:13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesse
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

solved -gawk, search for pattern - mark the previous line as a variable?

Im trying to parse ifconfig with awk and setup a bunch of variables in one shot. But Im having trouble figuring out how to work with data in previous lines. ifconfig output: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:DA:10:7F:1B inet addr:10.10.10.10 Bcast:10.10.10.127 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string in a file and retrieve 10 lines including string line

Hi Guys, I am trying to write a perl script to search a string "Name" in the file "FILE" and also want to create a new file and push the searched string Name line along with 10 lines following the same. can anyone of you please let me know how to go about it ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve logs for previous 4 hours

Hi, I am in the process of configuring a script, and i intend it to retrieve logs for previous four hours, and then scan for predefined errors. I am kind of stuck on the log retrieval part where the script will run early morning like 1 AM or 2 AM, the command as posted below will give me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding line in a file using info from previous line

I have a shell script that looks something like the following: mysql -uroot db1 < db1.sql mysql -uroot db2 < db2.sql mysql -uroot db3 < db3.sql mysql -uroot db4 < db4.sql .... different db names in more than 160 lines. I want to run this script with nohup and have a status later. So,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKH
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search a text in file and retrieve required lines following it with UNIX command?

I have requirement to search for a text in the file and retrieve required lines that is user defined with unix command. Eg: Find the text UNIX in the below file and need to return Test 8 & Test 9 Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Test 4 UNIX Test 5 Test 6 Test 7 Test 8 Test 9 Result can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunkumarsak4
8 Replies
test(1F)							   FMLI Commands							  test(1F)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and if its value is true, sets a 0 (TRUE) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (FALSE) exit status is set; test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to test. Normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (FIFO). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than 0. -t[fildes] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is 0. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). `(expression)` Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 test(1F)