Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Different results from awk, sed, tr in different directories??? Post 302108097 by james_falco on Friday 23rd of February 2007 01:02:17 AM
Old 02-23-2007
that is genius! yup I have file named 1 in the first directory. Yes, that is our resolution, to put double quotes for "[0-9]" and to "[A-Z]" "[a-z]". Just a stupid question:
1. How does tr read the file named 1, but I know the tr only accepts strings and characters. I tried to create a file named 3, and it accepts the 1 and 3 files and went to syntax error. how does it happens?
(aondufd1)acking:/aon/dev/psoft/FSTST88/autosys/parm>echo ${MailFile} | awk -F. '{ print $1 "." }' | sed 's/.*\(...\)\..*/>
+ echo mfint003pr.in1*
+ awk -F. { print $1 "." }
+ sed s/.*\(...\)\..*/\1/
+ tr -d 2 3
+ tr [A-Z] [a-z]
tr: The combination of options and String parameters is not legal.
Usage: tr [ -c | -cds | -cs | -ds | -s ] [-A] String1 String2
tr [ -cd | -cs | -d | -s ] [-A] String1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a little help with results from awk

Hi there all, I am using a line to get some replys from my PS I do ps -ef |awk '{printf $9}' But my result is 1 big line. No spaces between the lines or someting for example:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar, zip multiple separate directories and move the results to another volume

TIA, I'm using FreeBSD 6 I have a series of Directories (A,B,C,...Z). Each directory has files and other directories within it. I want to compress the contents of each top directory into a single file so that I get an archive of each directory (for example, A.gzip) AND and want to move... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jccbin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - traverse sub directories and get test case results

Hello, I need help in creating a PERL script for parsing test result files to get the results (pass or fail). Each test case execution generates a directory with few files among which we are interested in .result file. Lets say Testing is home directory. If i executed 2 test cases. It will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed in vi - \r and \n not giving desired results

I use many different machines at work, each with different versions of o/s's and installed applications. Sed in vi is particularly inconvenient in the sense that sometimes it will accept the "\r" as a carriage return, sometimes not. Same thing with "\n". For instance, if I have a list of hosts... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print sed results

Dear all, How can I print results (and of course, send this result to the text file) of sed command. I mean, I want to know which lines of which files sed command has found. For e.g, the result text file should contains: file1.c:line 12 file2.h:line 14 file2.h:line 37 Please help me (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hannibal2010
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns different results while substitution on a pipe delimited file

Hi, Need help with a sed command that I am using to substitute 3 positions of a pipe delimited file. i am getting different results while substituting the same position of two different files with the same value. Please see details below: $ cat chk2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmenon
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected results with lists in GNU sed

I have been living with this problem with GNU sed v4.1.4 for a long time, but now I really need to figure it out. When using a list in either an address or a search, the expression is matching lower and upper-case letters. works as it should. For example, if I run sed -nr "// p"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nctrader
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Unexpected results, missing first search item

I created 3 files with the identical data as follows dial-peer voice 9999 pots trunkgroup CO list outgoing Local translation-profile outgoing LOCAL-7-DIGITS-NO-PREPEND-97 preference 2 shutdown destination-pattern 9......$ forward-digits 7 dial-peer voice 10000 pots ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Narrowing sed Results in While Loop

find $SRC -type f -name *.emlx | while read FILE do if : then sed -n '/From/p' $FILE fi done > $DEST-output.txt The loop above spits out a .txt file with several lines that look like this: From: John Smith <jsmith@company.com> How can I narrow that sed result to spit out the email... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large search replace using sed results in memory problem.

I have one big file of size 9GB (big_file.txt). This big file has sentences and paragraphs like any usual English document. I have another file consisting of replacement strings for sed to use. The file name is replace.sed and each entry in one line looks like this: s/\<shout\>/shout/g s/\<b is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)