Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: passwords encryption
Operating Systems AIX passwords encryption Post 302108096 by kalpana.anuga on Friday 23rd of February 2007 12:29:34 AM
Old 02-23-2007
passwords encryption

I want to store a password of a user in a encrypted format and the use that encrypted password in my shell scripting. can any one of you let me know how to do it.

Thanks in advance

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passwords

I am running unix 11.xxx....How do you change a user password. The previous vs was passwd at the command prompt. This no longer works. Thanks for the help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: turner.rd
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passwords?

The local policy is set in our LAN so that passwords have to be 8 characters and contain a capital letter, a small letter and a special character. Is Unix able to restrict users passwords to certain lengths and characters. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide Passwords

Is there a way not to display the password in the sys out when your korn shell script logs into sqlplus? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File encryption/Key encryption ????

My dilemma, I need to send, deemed confidential, information via e-mail (SMTP). This information is sitting as a file on AIX. Typically I can send this data as a e-mail attachment via what we term a "mail filter" using telnet. I now would like to somehow encrypt the data and send it to a e-mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Partition encryption without prompting passwords.

Hi Gurus, I have been working on encrypting a partition in a Fedora box and have successfully encrypted a partition(By name /test) using "cryptsetup & luks". The below command was put up in a runcontrol file which is called during bootup to automount them during bootup. cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwords

Dear all, I need to automate/script a user password change process. I'm helpless cannot use expect since it's not installed and cannot install it either. Do i have an alternative. I can store the password in a file and that would be the password that would be set to all the users. If not i don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies
lusermod(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       lusermod(8)

NAME
lusermod - Modify an user SYNOPSIS
lusermod [OPTION]... user DESCRIPTION
Modifies the user with name user. OPTIONS
-c, --gecos=gecos Set user's GECOS field to gecos. The GECOS field is traditionally used to store user's real name and other information. -d, --directory=directory Set user's home directory to directory. -g, --gid=gid Change user's primary group ID to gid. If group with ID gid does not exist, a warning is printed, but the operation is performed anyway. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -L, --lock Lock user's account. This prevents logging in using user's password. -l, --login=name Rename user to name. -m, --movedirectory After changing user's home directory (using the -d option), move the old home directory to the new location. -P, --plainpassword=password Set user's password to password. Note that the password can be viewed while running lusermod using tools such as ps(1). -p, --password=encrypted Set user's password to the password represented by the hash encrypted. Note that the hash can be viewed while running lusermod using tools such as ps(1). -s, --shell=shell Set user's login shell to shell. -U, --unlock Unlock user's account. -u, --uid=uid Change user's user ID to uid. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on error. libuser Feb 27 2008 lusermod(8)