Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell initialization files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell initialization files Post 302108049 by SeanWuzHere on Thursday 22nd of February 2007 03:10:52 PM
Old 02-22-2007
Right, but the thing I don't get is why is there so many? For instance, I can see the reasoning behind having one default one and then maybe a second one for the user account. But like bash for instance has .bashrc, .bash_profile, .bash_login, etc. And I know that it's not necessary to use all of them but it just seems like it overly complicates things to have so many available. Then not to mention, that's just for UNIX,... Linux distributions have even more. Maybe I'm still too new to this, but it seems like it would make more sense to standardize this system to all shells and all platforms.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Struct Initialization

Hi We are using a code generator for initializing structures with the #define macro. Compiling it with the GCC 2.8.1 (with -ansi) it OK. But when we are using the SUN C 5.0 compiler it screams. Following is a code sample: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> typedef struct TEST3 {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatsaka
4 Replies

2. AIX

Initialization & Startup Files

Hi Every Body, I want to know which files are read by the system during startup (initialization files) & in which order they are read? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
2 Replies

3. Programming

Char initialization

Hi All, char a="\0"; a) a contains \0 a contains garbage value b) a contains \ a contains 0 a contains garbage value Pls, let me know correct result is a or b. I guess a. Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

4. Programming

Class Pointer initialization C++

Hello everyone, I have a question, that are the following ways of pointer intialization same ? ClassA *point; point = 0; point = new ClassA; Thanks a load in advance!! Regards, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring variables without initialization

I get an error in my shell script that line 1: )unexpected. Line 1 in my script (using sh by the way) is the variable I declared but did not initialize it. result= Is this wrong? How can I fix it? I am using the variable later in the program, so I figured I could just declare it first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initialization error

new to shell scripting. below line is showing error in script. ${parameter:=word} in the o/p first it shows the below error. word: not found. and then in next line print "word" ---------------- p2: word: not found. word --------------------------- OS is AIX and shell is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

openmpi - initialization failed

Hi everybody, my problem is the following: I'm trying to run an openmpi program on a cluster (atlasz.elte.hu, it's in hungarian, but you can try google translate), but I always got this error: Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack: MPIR_Init_thread(394)...........:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkobori
0 Replies

8. Programming

C- static initialization of structures

Situation: I have an array of structures: struct my_struct_type { char tags_sn; char group_c; char is_err_c; }; struct my_struct_type stuff = { "abcd", 'A', 'E', "efgh", 'B', 'E', "ijkl", 'C', 'E' NULL, '\0', '\0' ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: garysk
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable initialization

Hallo Team, I have a simple request and i would appreciate your help. I would like to use two dates in my script lets: A=$(date +"%d %B %Y") echo $A 23 June 2014 That's awesome now we cooking. Now i want B to be on the previous month eg: echo $B Should give me 23 May 2014 I would... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Hi , I was invoking a sh file using the nohup command. But while invoking, I received a below error. Error occurred during initialization of VM Unable to load native library: /u01/libjava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory . Could you please help out. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamal1108
2 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell - base class for CPANPLUS shells SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)