Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mv and compress on the fly
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mv and compress on the fly Post 302108002 by simquest on Thursday 22nd of February 2007 10:03:47 AM
Old 02-22-2007
mv and compress on the fly

I want to move and compress a big export file.
Like mv file_exp /filesystem/file_exp |compress
The file system is too small to compress and move with 2 steps.
What is the best command for me. I'm running solaris.

Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files on the fly

Hi everyone, I am sort of new to shell scripting, I have a bunch of files that begin with 'blah' and I want to rename those files with something different (renamedFile1, renamedFile2, renamedFileN). I don't want to go through each file and rename them with the mv command. Could I just use a for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcor
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep logs on the fly

Hi, We use an application that is dumping logs to a file on disk. However, this is dumping very verbosely and there is no method of turning down the logging level. We need to remove certain contents from these before they are commited to disk. Has anybody got any ideas how I can do this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harperonline
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Disable IPMP on the fly

Wats would be the best way to disable link based IPMP on the fly without loosing network connectivity ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Files on the Fly

Hi, I am creating files in a folder on the fly with arbritrary names but same extension (say, ".img"). How can I read each filename from the folder through a script. regards Angshuman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

The Only Way To Fly !

This is great! Lqh8e2KYIrU (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

7. HP-UX

Compress dbexport on the fly

Hi, I have an old HPUX 10.20 server running Informix 7.23 I need to dump the database to get it off that hardware before it dies. Unfortunately there is insufficient local diskspace to do so. I have set up a linux box with sufficient disk onto which I can export the database. Having... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fella
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Creating An Executable On The Fly...

Hi all... Had an idea tonight which could really enhance shell scripting for me. Yes I am aware there could be difficulties but...... Creating a C script inside the shell script to do a task, (a simple text print to stdout in this example), compiling it on the fly, making sure it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute script on the fly

Hi all, I am calling a zsh script from batch file . This zsh just removes the trigger file in a particular directory.File name is passed as a parameter from the batch file Problem is this batch is called in multiple other batch files and sometimes system says file cant be used as it is used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
4 Replies
compress(1)							   User Commands						       compress(1)

NAME
compress, uncompress, zcat - compress, uncompress files or display expanded files SYNOPSIS
compress [-fv] [-b bits] [file...] compress [-cfv] [-b bits] [file] uncompress [-cfv] [file...] zcat [file...] DESCRIPTION
compress The compress utility will attempt to reduce the size of the named files by using adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding. Except when the output is to the standard output, each file will be replaced by one with the extension .Z, while keeping the same ownership modes, change times and mod- ification times. If appending the .Z to the file pathname would make the pathname exceed 1023 bytes, the command will fail. If no files are specified, the standard input will be compressed to the standard output. The amount of compression obtained depends on the size of the input, the number of bits per code, and the distribution of common sub- strings. Typically, text such as source code or English is reduced by 50-60%. Compression is generally much better than that achieved by Huffman coding (as used in pack(1)) and it takes less time to compute. The bits parameter specified during compression is encoded within the compressed file, along with a magic number to ensure that neither decompression of random data nor recompression of compressed data is subsequently allowed. uncompress The uncompress utility will restore files to their original state after they have been compressed using the compress utility. If no files are specified, the standard input will be uncompressed to the standard output. This utility supports the uncompressing of any files produced by compress. For files produced by compress on other systems, uncompress sup- ports 9- to 16-bit compression (see -b). zcat The zcat utility will write to standard output the uncompressed form of files that have been compressed using compress. It is the equiva- lent of uncompress -c. Input files are not affected. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Writes to the standard output; no files are changed and no .Z files are created. The behavior of zcat is identical to that of `uncompress -c'. -f When compressing, forces compression of file, even if it does not actually reduce the size of the file, or if the corresponding file.Z file already exists. If the -f option is not given, and the process is not running in the background, prompts to verify whether an existing file.Z file should be overwritten. When uncompressing, does not prompt for overwriting files. If the -f option is not given, and the process is not running in the background, prompts to verify whether an existing file should be over- written. If the standard input is not a terminal and -f is not given, writes a diagnostic message to standard error and exits with a status greater than 0. -v Verbose. Writes to standard error messages concerning the percentage reduction or expansion of each file. -b bits Sets the upper limit (in bits) for common substring codes. bits must be between 9 and 16 (16 is the default). Lowering the number of bits will result in larger, less compressed files. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of a file to be compressed by compress, uncompressed by uncompress, or whose uncompressed form is written to standard out by zcat. If file is -, or if no file is specified, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of compress, uncompress, and zcat when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of compress, uncompress, and zcat: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. 2 One or more files were not compressed because they would have increased in size (and the -f option was not specified). >2 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ln(1), pack(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Usage: compress [-fvc] [-b maxbits] [file... ] Invalid options were specified on the command line. Missing maxbits Maxbits must follow -b, or invalid maxbits, not a numeric value. file: not in compressed format The file specified to uncompress has not been compressed. file: compressed with xxbits, can only handle yybits file was compressed by a program that could deal with more bits than the compress code on this machine. Recompress the file with smaller bits. file: already has .Z suffix -- no change The file is assumed to be already compressed. Rename the file and try again. file: already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? Respond y if you want the output file to be replaced; n if not. uncompress: corrupt input A SIGSEGV violation was detected, which usually means that the input file is corrupted. Compression: xx.xx% Percentage of the input saved by compression. (Relevant only for -v.) - - not a regular file: unchanged When the input file is not a regular file, (such as a directory), it is left unaltered. - - has xx other links: unchanged The input file has links; it is left unchanged. See ln(1) for more information. - - file unchanged No savings are achieved by compression. The input remains uncompressed. filename too long to tack on .Z The path name is too long to append the .Z suffix. NOTES
Although compressed files are compatible between machines with large memory, -b 12 should be used for file transfer to architectures with a small process data space (64KB or less). compress should be more flexible about the existence of the .Z suffix. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 1999 compress(1)