Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crypt command
Operating Systems AIX Crypt command Post 302107955 by kalpana.anuga on Thursday 22nd of February 2007 05:00:20 AM
Old 02-22-2007
Crypt command

Will AIX support crypt command or elase is there any command which is similar to crypt on AIX?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crypt question

Hi, does anyone know if the output from crypt can include control caracters or only ascii caracters ? I want to mail a crypt encoded file and i want to know if i have to uuencode the file first or not . thx for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sven28
2 Replies

2. Programming

Crypt How to??

How to use the crypt function in c++.Itgives error as "Undefined reference to crypt".help me soon plzzzzzzzzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanas
1 Replies

3. AIX

I need to do crypt(as in HP-UX) in AIX 5

Hi, I will crypt a file, which requires password to open it in HP-UX. Please let me know the equivalent command in AIX 5. Your co-operation is highly appreciated in this regard! -Thiagu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thiagoo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX crypt, need to do in AIX 5

Hi, I will crypt a file, which requires password to open it in HP-UX. Please let me know the equivalent command in AIX 5. Your co-operation is highly appreciated in this regard! -Thiagu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiagoo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crypt command

Hi all, I want the source code similar to crypt command in unix. Thanks for the reply (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratna
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help with Crypt()

Hi, Completely new to Unix - trying to decrypt a Crypt() password, I'm looking for a DES based software that can run on windows...anyone know of a link / online tool that can help me? Much appreciated reppir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reppir
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions about the crypt command

hi all, My aim is to encrypt a file using 'crypt' command. Which is the package I need to install to get this command work? (because it says, crypt: command not found ) I'm working on a NetBSD 3.1 machine.. please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renjumc
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

crypt utility

Hello all, I'm currently on HP-UX and will be moveing shortly to Red Hat Linux. Is there a crypt or an equivalent utitlity on RHEL? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

9. Solaris

ZFS CRYPT

Hi! I'm a new user... I'm looking for some informations about the ZDF file sytem... In my ubuntu box i have installed cryptkeeper, and i want to know if in Solaris 11 Express can find something similar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarisutente
3 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to find crypt command

Hi Friends, I am not able to execute crypt in AIX OS. Could you pls let me know how to get this command. Thanks in Advance Siva. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumarl
1 Replies
CRYPT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  CRYPT(3)

NAME
crypt - one-way password encryption function SYNOPSIS
#define _MINIX_SOURCE 1 #include <unistd.h> char *crypt(const char *key, const char *salt) DESCRIPTION
The first use of crypt() is to encrypt a password. Its second use is to authenticate a shadow password. In both cases crypt() calls pwdauth(8) to do the real work. Crypt() encrypts a password if called with a user typed key, and a salt whose first two characters are in the set [./0-9A-Za-z]. The result is a character string in the [./0-9A-Za-z] alphabet of which the first two characters are equal to the salt, and the rest is the result of encrypting the key and the salt. If crypt() is called with a salt that has the form ##user then the key is encrypted and compared to the encrypted password of user in the shadow password file. If they are equal then crypt() returns the ##user argument, if not then some other string is returned. This trick assures that the normal way to authenticate a password still works: if (strcmp(pw->pw_passwd, crypt(key, pw->pw_passwd))) ... If key is a null string, and the shadow password is a null string or the salt is a null string then the result equals salt. (This is because the caller can't tell if a password field is empty in the shadow password file.) The key and salt are limited to 1024 bytes total including the null bytes. FILES
/usr/lib/pwdauth The password authentication program SEE ALSO
getpass(3), getpwent(3), passwd(5), pwdauth(8). NOTES
The result of an encryption is returned in a static array that is overwritten by each call. The return value should not be modified. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) CRYPT(3)